Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folkks...just bought a new toy...70 SS396 Convert. Car is 100% stock now, but I would like to do a pro touring set up. Pros and cons of air ride tech system front and rear??? DO I need to put dropped spindels or will the airbag system do the trick? How is the system for general ride and performance compared to the stock system? THanks
CHris

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have the Air Ride system on my 70 and love the way it handle's. I think there system was designed around the dropped spindle. Give them a call, great costomer service. Ask for Darren he has it on his personal 70 chevelle.

·
Registered
550 Posts
purely based on the feedback i've heard/read they're great. if you can pony up the $$$ then i'd be jealous of you.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
We sell and install quite a bit of Air Ride and run it on our own cars. Our Project EmptyNest Firebird has it as well as Ted's Bull Run Racer 68 Chevelle which just finished the rigorous Bull Run Rally (Cannon Ball Run). Watch the video below and here the driver opinion on the Air Ride. Ride is fantastic, handling is unreal.

Last week in Pigeon Forge at the Run Through The Hills Event, with 55 of the best Protouring cars on the planet there, Bret (owner of Air Ride) led the field most of the day and finished 3rd in his Air Ride equiped Camaro less then 2 1/10ths off the winner . Our Bull Run Racer was having transmission dilemas (automatic transmission was built for sustained speeds over 100, not autocross) and still managed a 8th place finish out of 55 cars! And this was un tuned, the car and driver had never been together on a autocross track! Watch the video, the car does fantastic. We could easily get into the top 5 with that car.

Get the idea I love it? Your right.

I have (4) brands if A body suspension we can sell you including Air Ride. We carry (in alphabetical order) Air Ride, DSE, Hotchkis, and Speedtech. Each one is great and has it's position in the marketplace, in the end having (4) brands, we can select the system that is best for you, and make a few pennies doing it no matter what brand you choose. Whic is in stark contrast of dealing with somoene with one brand to sell. We use the stuff, we know what works. We like it all. I Love Air Ride if you can afford it. Call me to discuss you project and do a little free project planing with someone that sells and installs it all.

Here are a couple videos.

Chevelle autocross first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCxK97qAV_g

Bull Run finish line interview. 125 cars started, only 24 finished and only one muscle car! theywent though sme rough stuff. Just listen to what they say about Air Ride.

Interview part 1 of 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnY6eco-ho

Interview part 2 of 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5z4EJbiNGU

Ted's Bull Run racer and our own Project Prodigy on recent Super Chevy Cover, We are a little proud.

See more of Ted's Bull Run Racer at

www.ProdigyCustoms.com in the projects section

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
We just put an Air Ride kit (cool ride kit) on our 72 Chevelle and love it. We now have a ride height, cruising height, slammed all the way down and all the way up. The ride is better and it handles great.

The pic that was taken at night is the only one I have with it setting at the new ride height.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
A drop spindle is not needed, my Arms/shockwaves have the drop built into it (about 2" at ride height). But for optimal handling I do recommend using a taller spindle. However, most of the taller spindles out there also have a 2" drop designed into them (including the spindle that we offer). So when using a tall/drop spindle we put a longer shock inside the Shockwave to avoid lowering the car too much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The ride quality and performance are great. With our 66 Chevelle we recorded a sustained 1.1G on the road course. But don't expect this kind of performace by just swapping your coils for a set of air springs. That car also had our MuscleBar front and rear sway bars, tubular StrongArms front and rear, tall spindles and double adjustable shocks. It also had pretty good tires on it, BFG G-Force KD's.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Not many have said really any con's of the air ride and when you go with a system like Darren's there aren't many I can see. I will say that for the Ultimate in handling an air spring can only take you so far because it is a progressive rate. However, it has been proven that you can make a mean handling car (see above) that also rides great on the highway. Not knocking air-ride at all just talking facts since there is a reason formula 1 cars don't have air ride springs. That being said unless you plan on competing in open track events on a regular basis air ride is something to look into.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The rear air springs that we use on these cars are a tapered sleeve design, which has a virtually linear spring rate. The double convoluted bellows that we use on the front are fairly progressive though. Weather or not a progressive spring rate is good or bad is a debatible subject. But for those who would rather use a linear spring rate, we are just finishing design work on a new sleeve style air spring that is the same diameter as the double convoluted springs, has the same load capacity, but offers a much more linear spring rate.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The rear air springs that we use on these cars are a tapered sleeve design, which has a virtually linear spring rate. The double convoluted bellows that we use on the front are fairly progressive though. Weather or not a progressive spring rate is good or bad is a debatible subject. But for those who would rather use a linear spring rate, we are just finishing design work on a new sleeve style air spring that is the same diameter as the double convoluted springs, has the same load capacity, but offers a much more linear spring rate.
Thanks for chiming in Darren. First off I want to commend you guys because I saw your car at Goodguys autocross in fort worth and its impressive. I was also impressed checking out your stuff at the booth. Thats interesting to hear about the new spring design I will keep my eyes peeled for it. To be honest I am considering some of your stuff for my car I don't mean to say your stuff isn't great and I hope you didn't take it that way. I just wanted the OP to understand for a track car air springs start to not make as much sense but for a street car that can also handle very well but on the plus side can cruise down the highway in comfort AirRide is tough to beat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts