Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car apart over the winter & reassembled everything. Now my PS has air noise only when turning left. I have been driving the car enough for this to have purged itself & don't know what could be causing this. No problem before having things apart & I didn't do anything to PS components other than cosmetic (paint the pump & box).

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
I've done this before...
Put the front end up on jack stands and turn the wheel slowly lock to lock, first without the engine running and then again with the pump turning.
Also the fluid gets whipped up with air so you may have to let the car sit a day or two to let all the air escape.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a part-time job at a full service gas station and the owner (of 30+ years) told me to park the veh over-night with the wheel turned to full lock- do it for several days if needed. It helps purge the air from the lines. He also told me to put about a tea-spoon of STP in the PS pump- it helps quiet the pump. Old school tricks of the trade... both worked like a charm.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
When I put on my new AGR system, their instructions said to raise the car, and turn the wheels lock-to-lock about 40 times slowly. Yes, it's a lot of turns - but I had no air when done.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Did you do anything to bleed the air before you started it up? If not you could still be working the air out. What happens is the air gets thoroughly foamed into the fluid until you stop for awhile. If you are stopped long enough the air comes out wherever it is in the system. If it happens to be in the tank, good. Anywhere else it likely just sits there ready to be re-foamed into the fluid.

The PS steering system generally has a constant flow of 2-3 gallons per minute. That is a fair amount of fluid circulation and very good at mixing air throughout the fluid.

At this point I would let the car sit overnight so the air comes out of solution. Then jack the frond end up and steer the wheels from full left to full right lock about 20 times. See if you don't get some air bubbles up into the reservoir this way.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will give those things a try. I have driven this car about 200 miles and figured it would have worked out by now.

Also confused as to why it's only when turning left of center.

Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts