Team Chevelle banner

air gap or strip dominator

1787 Views 59 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  RickSBC400
Hello,

I posted this on camaros.net but they aimed me here as more of a performance crowd. So here goes. Would you run a strip dominator or rpm air gap on this? Combo is primarily street driven, but out of my analysis it rarely is above 3k rpm on the street so i don't really care for the argument how the bottom end will feel since i rarely ever feel it anyway. the converter is a 3k converter and 3.90 gears so it usually is cruising below that rpm range until i get on the hwy. my question is really will a strip dominator's upper end advantage outweigh the lower rpm advantages from the air gap? This will probably only come up when I'm drag racing it as that's when I'll have the traction from a dead stop launch to really feel the impact of my decisions. So what would you do? Combo is below:

bc 400, std bore and stroke,5.7" rods. compression 11:1 or so. flat top pistons with valve reliefs. quench area on deck .005
Hyd roller cam 236/242 111 lsa 108 intake centerline. .584/.584 lift with 1.6 rockers.
afr 210 heads 65cc chambers
sniper efi, so up to 850 cfm i think.
1 3/4 headers with 3" extensions for about 6-8" then 2.5" exhaust thru mufflers.
3k stall, 3.90 gears

Thanks for your opinions.
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
And its important to understand no one on this forum understands what it like to race in Denvers 10,000 plus DA. A 650 HP/660 TQ engine makes 470 HP @ Denver with 475 TQ, and the averages are way down. In my way of thinking, a 12.30 car shows the math like this:

107 MPH @ 3800 pounds is 359 crankshaft HP
1320/107=12.33
Just like walking up the stairs on the west side from trackside to the top of stands, boy that takes the wind out of you! The rise and run on those stairs is not up to code! haha.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey Mark!

I originally thought the OP just had a mellow street cruiser when I read that he didn't much go over 3,000 RPM on the street.
He pointed out that's not the case at all....and he's got a nice, healthy SBC.
I was bummed the last time at the track in mid-November when it was unseasonably warm, with a DA of 1400+ at 1100 feet elevation. I'm spoiled over here compared to you guys. :)
I'd love to race at the DA/altitude you are at sometime.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I'm probably going to chassis dyno the combo with both intakes over the next year for fun. This is all the fun part of the hobby to me, I wont sweat how down on power I am or where I am. This is relatively cheap fun and I'll post my story about the dyno numbers on the board too for fun. I really like this board for performance conversations.

· Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Just like walking up the stairs on the west side from trackside to the top of stands, boy that takes the wind out of you! The rise and run on those stairs is not up to code! haha.
A group of us used to get together for a ski trip out in Breckenridge, CO every year. Base elevation of 9,300 feet or so. I'd always caution everybody not to have more than two drinks on the first night as the Altitude is hard to deal with until you get acclimated to it.
Eventually, we'd stay in Denver the first night after landing.....and then head out to Breck the following day.....just to ease into the Altitude.

Reactions: RickSBC400

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
A group of us used to get together for a ski trip out in Breckenridge, CO every year. Base elevation of 9,300 feet or so. I'd always caution everybody not to have more than two drinks on the first night as the Altitude is hard to deal with until you get acclimated to it.
Eventually, we'd stay in Denver the first night after landing.....and then head out to Breck the following day.....just to ease into the Altitude.
sounds like wise decisions and help you enjoy the slopes more when up there. Even I have to limit my drinking to soda pops if I'm wanting to snowboard the next day and not have a headache.

· Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Always got the biggest kick out of going through Loveland Pass and the Eisenhower tunnel.
To the East, sunshine and blue skies.
To the West, snow every where. And lots of it.
It was almost like the gateway to a different world.
On one bad trip back to Lakewood, CO.....we got stuck in traffic on 70 and I had to spend four hours in the back of a Ranger.....when they had no room back there and the seat flipped down from the side.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Always got the biggest kick out of going through Loveland Pass and the Eisenhower tunnel.
To the East, sunshine and blue skies.
To the West, snow every where. And lots of it.
It was almost like the gateway to a different world.
On one bad trip back to Lakewood, CO.....we got stuck in traffic on 70 and I had to spend four hours in the back of a Ranger.....when they had no room back there and the seat flipped down from the side.
you described it perfectly when you come out the west side of the tunnel its a flashing 'dange icy road' sign and usually a blizzard and a snowpacked icy road. not for the faint of heart! And going Loveland pass is even worse most the time. I'm getting to old for that so I don't chase powder days anymore but I still do enjoy snowboarding up in our front range mountains.

· Premium Member
8,896 Posts
I thought I read that you have a EFI unit to use. Asking the more experienced here, wouldn't that make a difference in what manifold you use ? I think a throttle body EFI would work better with a single plain but I'm asking the board would that make a big difference in what manifold to use ?
What say you

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I thought I read that you have a EFI unit to use. Asking the more experienced here, wouldn't that make a difference in what manifold you use ? I think a throttle body EFI would work better with a single plain but I'm asking the board would that make a big difference in what manifold to use ?
What say you
I also have overthought this with my ignorant brain on the topic, and add to it, will the vacuum that is decently high relative to a tighter LSA cam also help with the signal and pulling in the mixture to each cylinder?

· Registered
4,520 Posts
I installed the single plane. If all goes to plan and weather cooperates will see if I can get it installed in the car this weekend too..
You'll make plenty with those heads and that intake, I wouldn't worry too much about not making enough power there.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
You'll make plenty with those heads and that intake, I wouldn't worry too much about not making enough power there.
Thanks, and to add to the testing, I bought this to dream that I'm improving the signal a bit, ha!

· Registered
4,520 Posts
Thanks, and to add to the testing, I bought this to dream that I'm improving the signal a bit, ha!

I am not sure what that short spacer results, but I do know that my 2" 4 holed tapered spacer added 2 tenths and 1 mph on my peanut port engine in testing with my Holley Strip Dominator single plane intake one day, one week later when I swapped to a dual plane intake that car lost 2 tenths with the 4 hole spacer, but I picked that back up with a 1" open spacer. Just have to test them.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I am not sure what that short spacer results, but I do know that my 2" 4 holed tapered spacer added 2 tenths and 1 mph on my peanut port engine in testing with my Holley Strip Dominator single plane intake one day, one week later when I swapped to a dual plane intake that car lost 2 tenths with the 4 hole spacer, but I picked that back up with a 1" open spacer. Just have to test them.
yeah it is kind of an interesting design where half the spacer sits down in the intake. i also own a 1" regular hvh 4 hole spacer, so when I go on the dyno maybe i'll try both those out for kicks after getting optimum timing figured out.

· Premium Member
Ryan
1,746 Posts
Does signal matter with EFI like with a carb though?

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Does signal matter with EFI like with a carb though?
I look forward to dyno testing this setup in the next month or so depending on weather and dyno dude i'm going to use. I'll post the results. If the torque number is weaker than I'd like, or the curve looks too soggy on the 'low end' then i'll put the dual plane on later this summer and dyno test it with that. I'll port match to the intake gasket on that too so it has the same massaging the strip dominator got.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts