Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I posted this on camaros.net but they aimed me here as more of a performance crowd. So here goes. Would you run a strip dominator or rpm air gap on this? Combo is primarily street driven, but out of my analysis it rarely is above 3k rpm on the street so i don't really care for the argument how the bottom end will feel since i rarely ever feel it anyway. the converter is a 3k converter and 3.90 gears so it usually is cruising below that rpm range until i get on the hwy. my question is really will a strip dominator's upper end advantage outweigh the lower rpm advantages from the air gap? This will probably only come up when I'm drag racing it as that's when I'll have the traction from a dead stop launch to really feel the impact of my decisions. So what would you do? Combo is below:

bc 400, std bore and stroke,5.7" rods. compression 11:1 or so. flat top pistons with valve reliefs. quench area on deck .005
Hyd roller cam 236/242 111 lsa 108 intake centerline. .584/.584 lift with 1.6 rockers.
afr 210 heads 65cc chambers
sniper efi, so up to 850 cfm i think.
1 3/4 headers with 3" extensions for about 6-8" then 2.5" exhaust thru mufflers.
3k stall, 3.90 gears

Thanks for your opinions.

· Registered
4,520 Posts
My 406 I ran a couple of years ago is like the 406 you have except I have 12:1 compression and ran it at the track mostly. I have run a 2925 S/V on the car and the 300-25 port matched Holley Strip Dominator on the engine and will be trying 2 other intakes on the car this year, my S/V II and a Brodix HVH single plane intake. If you are running EFI I would use the 300-25 as your engine will have better fuel distribution with the single plane vs the Air Gap IMO.

· Premium Member
Ryan
1,746 Posts
If it was carbed you could go either way in my opinion. Since you have EFI, I’d do strip dominator if it were me.

Reactions: RickSBC400

· Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Does the OP really have such nice parts on what is primarily a street motor that almost never goes above 3,000 RPM?
IF so, a Vortec headed 400 SBC with a hot cam would have been a better combo.
I see a bunch of go fast goodies....some of them really nice ones....for a car/combo that is never going fast.
So the question becomes: why take the time and incur the expense for HP and TQ that are never going to be used?
Or did the OP mean to write that he's rarely BELOW 3000 RPM on the street?

• Haha
Reactions: RickSBC400

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran the sb bow tie intake which is a tall single plane for many years on a 355 with 456 gear and 28" tires. Never any problems street or track. I would run what I have unless you are after times.
Rick
the fun part is i own both right now! the air gap was on my 'old combo' and now i have a strip dominator in case i wanted to try it and port matched it to my 210 heads.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 406 I ran a couple of years ago is like the 406 you have except I have 12:1 compression and ran it at the track mostly. I have run a 2925 S/V on the car and the 300-25 port matched Holley Strip Dominator on the engine and will be trying 2 other intakes on the car this year, my S/V II and a Brodix HVH single plane intake. If you are running EFI I would use the 300-25 as your engine will have better fuel distribution with the single plane vs the Air Gap IMO.
thanks for your feedback and insight from your experience. I have always liked the look of a single plane and wanted to run one, so my confirmation bias is really liking this post. :)

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With that combo I think your borderline between them, a little more cam and gear then single plane for sure.

being primarily a street driven car I would use the dual plane, probably see a little better throttle respons,more average HP and for sure more torque.
yeah i know/feel like i'm right on the edge of both could see pros and cons from either. I own them both so i can swap them down the road if i get bored of the single plane feels 'soggy' down low. doubt it will though. As I've found you can't really feel that until you have traction at the drag strip. on the street can't hit it and hook up unless from a roll so i guess that's where i may feel if its softer than the dual plane, but the dual plane had a diff cam and a little smaller old style afr 195 heads on it and less compression so its not really apples to apples.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does the OP really have such nice parts on what is primarily a street motor that almost never goes above 3,000 RPM?
IF so, a Vortec headed 400 SBC with a hot cam would have been a better combo.
I see a bunch of go fast goodies....some of them really nice ones....for a car/combo that is never going fast.
So the question becomes: why take the time and incur the expense for HP and TQ that are never going to be used?
Or did the OP mean to write that he's rarely BELOW 3000 RPM on the street?
your post kind of gave me a bit of a chuckle. thank you for that. what do you define as 'never going to go fast' as? is the car in your signature something you drive on the street? what rpm band do you usually operate at so I can understand your viewpoint better and the perspective you are bringing? my combo i'm upgrading from ran 12.35 at 5,800 feet (bandimere speedway) which i felt was going pretty fast for an NA street car, unless the time in your signature is old/not up to date or you are racing at an elevation similar to me i'd pose you aren't going that fast either lol. as to my expensive fancy parts, its just money and it's what i wanted, so i'm ok with your statements and will take them as compliments. but back to the original question, what intake would you choose?

· Premium Member
964 Posts
yeah i know/feel like i'm right on the edge of both could see pros and cons from either. I own them both so i can swap them down the road if i get bored of the single plane feels 'soggy' down low. doubt it will though. As I've found you can't really feel that until you have traction at the drag strip. on the street can't hit it and hook up unless from a roll so i guess that's where i may feel if its softer than the dual plane, but the dual plane had a diff cam and a little smaller old style afr 195 heads on it and less compression so its not really apples to apples.
Don’t think it will be soggy with either one. The drivability will be a little different that’s all. FWIW I have a 415 with 210 dart sportsman and a solid roller 254/262 with single plane. Have a DN5spd so my gearing is pretty low. It drives great! Well did for 23 years until the crank broke last year.

· Registered
997 Posts
hi
Ede rpm will cost upper end power not huge amounts but still . The hp curve will drop early .
A big single plain will give less response to low end throttle .
If u go the strip dominator less throttle response but negative impact might be limited due to the efi.

The gain hp from strip dominator will only be 10-15 hp why not enough cam /compression
eg a 400 from 210 heads vic jnr to super victor ,, from 250-to 260 S/Roller gained 30hp 575hp
Torque below peak will be less

Do u want /need to cut a hole in the hood ???
Weiand 7530 s/plain 1206 ports carb mount is lower than the Ede air gap
Ede rpm 1205 ports ,
Vic Jnr s/plain 1205 ports and carb mount , higher than ede rpm

???? diff ratio means nothing without tire diameter ???

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don’t think it will be soggy with either one. The drivability will be a little different that’s all. FWIW I have a 415 with 210 dart sportsman and a solid roller 254/262 with single plane. Have a DN5spd so my gearing is pretty low. It drives great! Well did for 23 years until the crank broke last year.
That is a lot of years and then the crank breaking yeesh. what is the story behind that? hope it didn't take down any of the rest of your engine.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe use the dual plane with your current times.
I use a dual plane and am faster.
The single plane will flow more air faster and require more timing and carb tuning. And it possibly will use more gas.
Depends on how much time you want to invest.
Rick
what engine do you use your dual plane on and what do you run and what track just fun to know that stuff. I love talking and learning about combos. I have EFI and timing thru computer tuning/setup so it's relatively easier to get that all dialed in, not dirty from turning a wrench anyways ha.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts