Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to beg/borrow/steal an air/fuel ratio gauge, what would the ratio be for a '70 307 with an Edelbrock 500 on an Edelbrock Performer intake? Tranny is a 'glide. Would it be worth my while to buy said gauge?
TIA!

------------------
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.

Fred
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have been wanting to get one of those. autometer has a new one and when it was put on display at a local shop they didnt have any in stock and it would take a few weeks to get one.

"perfect combustion" will occur at 14.7:1 which is 14.7 LBS of air to 1 LB of fuel (stoichiometric ratio). you want to shoot for probably about 12.5 to 14.5:1 so you dont get too lean. keep in mind its a guage, so it will tell you where you stand and where you should be.

you will have to install an oxygen sensor in your header collector or the closest possible point w/ manifolds..

ive never really talked to anyone that has used one, and K&N and i think edelbrock both offer one.. but if you know the concept, it would be awesome for jetting and setting mixture screws, etc.

theoretically the same effect can be achieved by just hooking a volt meter to the oxygen sensor and reading the output voltages but then you need a chart. I happen to have a chart from when I was in school and i'll scan it if anyone wants it (shows O2 sensor output in relation to air:fuel ratio)

Mike

PS- let me know how it goes!!! im really interested

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gonna check out a couple of local shops, and see if they have one they use for their cars. Thanks for the info, and I'll leave any information in this thread.

------------------
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.

Fred
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I did some extensive investigation into o2 sensors some time ago. I have the article I downloaded but it's path is no longer valid. A 3 wire sensor is prefered for accuracy plus it has a built in heater. A 1 wire sensor isn't accurate until heated by the exhaust for some period of time and thus isn't accurate unless placed in the optimum spot in the exhaust flow. Too far from the exhaust port and it won't get hot enough to measure reliably at idle. Too close and it will burn up. Maybe I'll try and find the posts again and post the info. Good luck.

Cam

·
Registered
777 Posts
Riffers and others,
check out this web site http://home.inreach.com/geewhiz/carb.htm
I just put in a new 468 BBC into my '71 SS and had the muffler shop install the bung and O2 sensor. I bought one for my '89 Blazer that I never installed so I put it in the Chevelle. I have not hooked my multimeter yet(dead battery) but hope to this weekend. I have the single wire type O2 sensor mounted in the collector with ceramic coated headers that heats up very quickly. If you want any additional info or follow-up, please E-mail me directly.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS
ACES #2780

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.