Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to adjust my air fuel mixture on my carb with a vacuum gauge but the only vacuum port on my carb is the one I use for my pcv, will using this vacuum port work? It's a Holley 950 HP.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Before vacuum gauges were in my hands I would take the most sensitive part of my body and rest it against the fender and adjust the mixture screws.
You may have been kicked or racked in those things. Rest them on the fender and start adjusting the carb.
Max Vacuum is not always the best way for best performance.

But does not hurt to mess with things that is a fact.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Before vacuum gauges were in my hands I would take the most sensitive part of my body and rest it against the fender and adjust the mixture screws.
You may have been kicked or racked in those things. Rest them on the fender and start adjusting the carb.
Max Vacuum is not always the best way for best performance.

But does not hurt to mess with things that is a fact.
I remember once working on a car that was wet from the rain. I was leaning over this wet fender with my sensitive part resting there. I was setting the timing & when I grabbed the dist cap to turn it spark from a bad wire insolation went into my hand & out through the sensitive part as that was the path of least resistance.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
really, worse than peeing on the electric fence.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,976 Posts
You will not get an accurate vacuum reading if the PCV is bleeding air into the hose you're using for the vacuum gauge.

You need to have the PCV operational, but you MUST use a different vacuum port.

Some folks use a tach. Never worked for me.

Resting the 'nads on the fender seems similarly suspicious, but I can't say that from experience. I can say from experience that using your pants zipper to ground a plug wire (or worse, a coil wire) will wake you up better'n coffee. The scream is usually louder, too.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Why not jus unplug your vacuum booster and use that port?

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Use it and adjust the carb.
For grins.
I had my car on the wheel dyno with AFR readout and I plugged the PCV vlave hose and stuck a filter in the valve cover.
AFR stayed the same.. this was at idle.
I really expected a change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts