Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a '64 with factory A/C, but the system has been disconnected and the condensor removed. The owner has all the parts, but removed them for maintenance on the engine and the hoses were just cut and left open. I am worried about putting it back together and have a few questions.

1) Can the entire system be evacuated after sitting for many years?

2) Can I convert to 134A (are there seal kits available?)? What else must be changed?

3) Are there any parts I must replace (receiver/dryer, etc)?

4) I want to keep it stock-looking so I prefer not to change the compressor style, etc.

Thanks

------------------
"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."

Tony
1966 SS L78 coupe
1966 SS convertible
1965 Impala convertible
1 wife that has drawn the line...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The hoses will need to be replaced, but they should be anyway. The compressor will probably need to be exchanged, but they are still available at most part houses. You won't need to change the style from what you have now. The drier is gone, replace it, as is the case with the POA valve. Now would be a good time to consider switching to R-134 refridgerant, and you'll need the right POA valve for R-134. The condensor and evaporator should be okay, but you really won't know until you charge the system. You should blow some denatured alcohol through them before you reassemble the system.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Randy hit it. Get yourself a POA update valve,3 cans of 134, dryer, update valves for the 134 fittings, and it should work. If not then fix the hoses, and then it should work. fix more and more untilo it works, and with the price of 134, just open her up and dump.

------------------
350 4speed 12bolt 3.73's
Bench Blue w/black inter. [email protected]
My 69 Chevelle

·
Registered
510 Posts
Don't know if anyone else is doing this, but one of the local AC gurus takes the POA valve and guts it. Says it reduces the pressure and blows much colder. This is with 134.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Art, I think I remember hearing someone say that you can install a modern style orofice tube in place of the POA, but you also have to install a low pressure switch to operate the compressor clutch. I think there's a kit out there somewhere for this.
But you can't run open tube. You have to have the restriction in the system to give you the pressure drop you need in order to chill the refridgerant as it enters the evaporator. You can run a straight line in some R-22 home A/C units, but I don't think it will work in an automotive system.
Double check with your sources and see if they were talking about substituting an orofice tube for the POA valve.

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
To convert to R134A properly can not just be done with a kit. Those kits that just come with seals, and can of the oil and refrig will work for about a year, and then you will need to do more work on your system. Unless you have the old system completely cleaned out (every drop of oil from the old R12) you will damage your compressor, among other things. When the oil that comes with R134A mixes with the old oil, it turns into a gel. This gel will clog up your system, causing major damage. To have the whole system properly converted by an air conditioning shop will cost about 200-500 dollars.

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 Deluxe Sport Coupe 350ci
1978 Malibu Classic 305ci
"Goes real slow with the hammer down!"

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. Its actually a car my mother wants. Its a 64 Corvair with air, but somebody cut the hoses off and removed the condensor (sits on top of the engine). I know R12 is very expensive, and especially since this system has been open, I know it will need a lot of work... I know its a corvair, but its in pretty nice shape, and I think it can be had for a good price...

Thanks again

------------------
"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."

Tony
1966 SS L78 coupe
1966 SS convertible
1965 Impala convertible
1 wife that has drawn the line...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.