Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1970 Chevelle with factory A/C. I found this hole in the A/C box by the passenger fender.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Rim

And these parts wedged into the corner (thank God they weren't on the road somewhere.)
Hand Arm Jaw Gesture Finger

I think I figured out how it goes back together, though there's no way to get the bolt on the broken left lower corner out and back in without taking off the inner fender as far as I can tell. The wider end of the hose seems to connect to something I can feel but can't see inside the fender. Anyone know what this is piping air from and to? Thanks?

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
The cowl is hollow. There is a hole through the firewall into the cowl plenum.

Here's my AC box when I had it pulled out. You can see the screw that holds the "intake" to the box.
Auto part Bumper Metal Electric blue Carbon

And here's what it looks like installed. And yes, you cannot access that screw with the inner fender in place.
Automotive tire Hood Tread Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: LeoP

·
Registered
565 Posts
**SSR71 and or Jim`s 69Ragtop
Can u please write the blower motor part no. down for me off the tag located on it .
What model does this fit eg 70--74 Chevelle ??
[why ,the Ozzy cars use alot of ALL GM car parts but need to track what uSa models to source from . ]
I am looking at 1x of these blower motors on my desk LOL.

Does any one no where to buy these cooling hoses new ???
Chasing one with more of a 90 degree bend

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
**SSR71 and or Jim`s 69Ragtop
Can u please write the blower motor part no. down for me off the tag located on it .
What model does this fit eg 70--74 Chevelle ??
[why ,the Ozzy cars use alot of ALL GM car parts but need to track what uSa models to source from . ]
I am looking at 1x of these blower motors on my desk LOL.

Does any one no where to buy these cooling hoses new ???
Chasing one with more of a 90 degree bend
They are not reproduced unfortunately. But if you search eBay and the "net" you should be able to find 2 different styles. That's what I had to do. And yes, They are very expensive if you find one.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi
JayHawk500
Besides 70-74 Chevelle what are the hoses fitted to??

All Gm parts are ex Usa being in Ozzy
No OEM style aftermarket parts available in ozzy for our airconditioned models ,good used parts are rare and at least 40yr old .

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
good used parts are rare and at least 40yr old .
As they are here as well.
Look at the 70-73 Cutlass,
70-73 Monte Carlo
70-73 Buick 442
Any of the GM "A" bodied cars.

If a guy had a mold and the correct rubber, He'd make a killing.....

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi
Without trying to high jack thread .
The blower motors have some bad faults

1/ the cool air ventilation corrodes inside the electric motor casing
Remedy by separating case then bead blast and paint .
Lube brass bushings with graphite grease

2/ electrical connections unreliable
a-- the pos cable post rubber grommet fails .A short is caused
b--poor earth ground connection due to internal corrosion
Remedy solder twin core double insulated wires to motor internal brushes and pass thru exterior of case

·
Gold Founding Member
64,231 Posts
Hi
Without trying to high jack thread .
The blower motors have some bad faults

1/ the cool air ventilation corrodes inside the electric motor casing
Remedy by separating case then bead blast and paint .
Lube brass bushings with graphite grease

2/ electrical connections unreliable
a-- the pos cable post rubber grommet fails .A short is caused
b--poor earth ground connection due to internal corrosion
Remedy solder twin core double insulated wires to motor internal brushes and pass thru exterior of case
My 69 still has the original blower motor and works fine with the air-conditioner.
I haven't used the heater for quite a while but I assume it blows okay with it also.
Never heard of an earth ground on a vehicle unless it had ground straps dragging on the road.:p

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
I bought two different ACDelco blowers through Rock Auto years ago. Both fit - the only difference was in the motor. I cannot recall which one I ended up using (the housing does not have the ACD part# on it) and the "spare" is now out in my shed. They were very close to the original in design and fit. It's the one seen in my picture above.

1580666 (15-80666)
1580214 (15-80214)

·
Registered
565 Posts
hi
Negative is referred to in many vehicle manuals as either earth or ground. U missed the point these motors can have ground / earth issues if corroded badly internally . Depends on if the Air Con operating or never fixed . The ones that were never fixed usually have good fan motors. Sadly now most parts are rare and most often worn out these days .

Thanks SSR71
While where discussing it what about the *** fan wheel , be interesting to see if mine is the same used on A bodies .
Mine has a GM number from memory seen on a model of Camaro with Air Con.

Any idea of the fan number ,typically molded into the plastic .

·
Gold Founding Member
64,231 Posts
hi
Negative is referred to in many vehicle manuals as either earth or ground. U missed the point these motors can have ground / earth issues if corroded badly internally . Depends on if the Air Con operating or never fixed . The ones that were never fixed usually have good fan motors. Sadly now most parts are rare and most often worn out these days .

Thanks SSR71
While where discussing it what about the *** fan wheel , be interesting to see if mine is the same used on A bodies .
Mine has a GM number from memory seen on a model of Camaro with Air Con.

Any idea of the fan number ,typically molded into the plastic .
Earth ground on a vehicle - Now that is funny, no matter who ya are.

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
I bought two different ACDelco blowers through Rock Auto years ago. Both fit - the only difference was in the motor. I cannot recall which one I ended up using (the housing does not have the ACD part# on it) and the "spare" is now out in my shed. They were very close to the original in design and fit. It's the one seen in my picture above.

1580666 (15-80666)
1580214 (15-80214)
Just searched through the box out in the shed. The 80214 is in that box, so the one I installed is the 80666. For under $40, you really can't go wrong.

·
Registered
565 Posts
hi Thankyou SSR71 , yup no imports into ozzy of this blower motor . I no them as either Semiens / VDO which I suspect produced them under licensing arrangement to GM. I did track them to an All Seasons part no.
Yes there are differing models with slight variations .

Did u no the the part no. for the [Squirrel cage] fan ???

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
hi Thankyou SSR71 , yup no imports into ozzy of this blower motor . I no them as either Semiens / VDO which I suspect produced them under licensing arrangement to GM. I did track them to an All Seasons part no.
Yes there are differing models with slight variations .

Did u no the the part no. for the [Squirrel cage] fan ???
That ACD part is a complete assembly - motor + fan. The fan isn't available separately. The common one sold by all of the classic parts shops is only an approximate match.

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 158541, 19131214

·
Registered
565 Posts
hi SSR71
fan will depend on model of car and generally [but not always ] a wider unit is fitted to air con cars .

Do u have a fan u could measure the width and diameter ??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts