Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a 71 Elcamino 402 with factory air I notice after the car was turned off the blower fan would continue to run. and the compressor was
was engaged even after the air condtion was turn off. I unhook the battery for storage and noticed a large than normal spark. checking for lights left on or something else left on, I unpluged the blower relay and the voltage draw stoped. After finding a blower relay no where around locally. I ordered a relay from danchuk after receiving it I notice that the new relay has one more post 4 than my old having 3. Could anyone tell me what this post is for.or if it needs to be wired to someting? its noted on the relay as post 5. Thankyou

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
You may just want to unplug the relay at the moment. The reason I say that is I’m not sure the original relay was the problem. The relay is used in the high position only. The A/C system should work normally in all the lower positions without the relay installed. See if that’s what occurs.
If all that is working fine check for power on the relay blue wire without the relay plugged in. I think the control wire’s color is blue but guessing a little. It should have 12 volts on it only when you select the high speed and the selector switches are on. Taking a guess that the blue wire may have power on it all the time.

·
Premium Member
7,105 Posts
GM designed the circuit to leave the a/c compressor engaged (extra load on engine) after the car was turned off as an anti-dieseling device. That's what it was supposed to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts