Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 chevy Z71 with 84000 miles that does not cool as it should.I checked the pressures before turning it on and the low side was higher than 120 and lower than 240(halfway maybe 180) and the high side was at 125.When I turned it on and kept the engine at 1500rpm the low side came down to 53 and the high went to 235.The air coming out of the vents was approx 60deg.At idle the low side is 75 and the high side is 175 and the air is a little warmer,maybe 10 deg.The outside temp is 97.As soon as I turn the ac off the pressures go to 110 on both sides.These pressures seem off to me.The comp makes a low clicking sound too.Something does not seem right.The dealership keeps telling me tjat it won't get any better.That to me is just an excuse for not wanting to touch it.Any ac experts out there?
Thanks

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
Team Chevelle Gold #127

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
double post sorry

[This message has been edited by pmullaly (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The clicking you hear is the compressor clutch cycling on and off probably because youre low on charge. Your pressures are ok -dont worry about them when the sytem is off-while you have it running watch the front of the compressor youll see that the clutch engages and disengages add about 1/2 a can and see if the clutch stays engaged all the time then you'll notice the temps will start to drop

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
The Z-meano
The Z-meano mill

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The high side is a bit low. Try adding about a half can of 134 to the system. I like the high side to read about 250 to 275 on a hot day with the engine at idle before I'm satisfied that the system is topped off. The low side will never read much lower than that. That's just the nature of that system. And no, 134 doesn't cool as well on extremely hot days, or at idle.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The clicking sound is too quick to be the clutch disengaging.I thought the high side was a little low.I'll go get some and add a little at the time to see if the high goes up some.
Thanks

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
Team Chevelle Gold #127

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.