Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a question about air compressors. I (was) running a 6hp 60 gal Craftsman manufactured back in 91. Everything was great until it started leaking oil into the tank and out of the pump casing. Question is, who makes what now? I know I need an 80 gallon to keep up with a sandblaster, DA, almost any air tool in general. I've read some really bad reviews on the latest batch of Craftsman comps because of bad pumps. I can go to Lowes and by a Kobalt or go to Home Depot and buy a Husky. Then again, I can order an Ingersoll Rand from Sears or go to a corner tool supply house and buy a Porter Cable. So many choices and a bunch of confusion. Who makes what, who's sticker is on who's tank, etc. Any and all info well be super helpful and very appreciated. Thanks!

·
Banned
4,650 Posts
Bel-Aire, Speed-Air/Grainger, Quincy. There are others.The most important aspects are the pump and motor. Baldor for instance. And of course 2 stage, low rpms. IR does not mean it's a good compressor. There are low quality models within a major name label. I have called Grainger for parts info and even though I did not purchase one from them new they were quite helpful. Phase and cfm requirements and comparisons were given by two tech reps. The cheaper models over-rate their outputs. They are advertised at their maximum. Which means they can't keep up with a higher air demand and have slow recovery times. Recovery is important for peak efficiency and economy. Many box stores push small motors/pumps with big tanks. "Size is better" mentality. How are you going to fill that tank quickly and efficiently when you suck the air out of it?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Definately do not get the direct drive compressors. They are extremely loud. I went from a belt driven used Ingersol Rand that blew the motor. I borrowed my Dad's for a while it is a direct drive of equal output and tank, but that sumbiscuit was sooo loud. I just got a new motor for it.

You may consider rebuilding the compressor or purchasing a bigger new one. They are basically a small engine... rings head gasket, oil sump, seals piston, connecing rod and crank... I rebuilt the IR beore I started using it. Only cost me $50 for the parts from a local shop.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i'm using a 60 gal. 3.5 hp kobalt 2 cylnd. from lowes. paid 500.00 for it 3 yrs ago and works great for everthing. little sluggish when i sand blasted my frame but still got the job done. for the money and a hobbyist can't beat it

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
You will need to pay around $1,400.00 to get a good one.

I am on my third compressor in the $750.00 to $800.00 range.

One lasted 10 years and the last one two years, I will put a picture of the third one I have now, it was around $800.00 out the door.

should have spent the $1,400.00 up front but didn't.:clonk::clonk::clonk:

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Here you go. If you take a close look at the pump, thats what most of the two stage in the $800.00 range look like.

This type compressor puts out a lot of air for a hobbist, I can run a 100 lb pressurized sandblaster (eastwood type) for 20 to 25 minutes straight and not run out of air, by that time I'm out of sand and have to reload.

But they will go to pot at anytime, I think they make this type pump as cheap as they can anymore.

Rob

Wanted to show you how the airlines are sloping down without any flat spots to hold water, then how you take off the top pipe to eliminate any water also

·
Banned
4,650 Posts
You will need to pay around $1,400.00 to get a good one.

I am on my third compressor in the $750.00 to $800.00 range.

One lasted 10 years and the last one two years, I will put a picture of the third one I have now, it was around $800.00 out the door.

should have spent the $1,400.00 up front but didn't.:clonk::clonk::clonk:
Rob's multiple purchases substantiates my previous points. (Sorry Rob). Burp the xtra coin for a good compressor. When an inferior one is running more you're paying for electricity that you could have spent on a quality unit. You'll also see that there are no cooling fins on the lines of cheaper compressors.
I'm only using the link below as an example but even their lowest line has superior qualities than other brands at the same prices. Just look at the pump design. Shop your area. Suppliers sometimes buy in bulk and run specials on compressors. http://www.industrial-air-compressors.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts