Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could go in about 4 different sections so I just choose this one, if there is a better more specific forum, mods please move.

I know this has been beat up a few time because I just read through them all (but most were for 66/67.) I’m not looking for a competition or taking a poll really…I just want AIR and HEAT :thumbsup:

My 70 is a non-air car, so I need the full kit. I also like the idea of the fully adjustable control panel rather than re-using the factory cables. The compressor needs to go on the driver’s side. If there are any other variables that need to be known just ask.

Price point – looks like all the kits from the different vendors are about 1,300 for the complete kit. Any good deals out there? Best people/person to buy from?

Ease of install, aesthetics, longevity and serviceability are also concerns – If you have done the install and love it please let me know what you used, how long it’s worked etc. Tax returns are going towards some comfort this year!! :D

Looks like I'm going to need some new pulleys for a third belt also??

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Vintage Air can fix you up with everything you need, including pulleys and brackets (and control panels for custom stuff)..........they have on all my installs.......I don't shop anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill what retailer did you go through... it says this on the Vintage Air site: Vintage Air products are sold worldwide by authorized Vintage Air Dealers, or purchased directly from Vintage Air. Please contact our Sales Staff at 1-800-TO-COOL-U (800-862-6658). Vintage Air does not offer direct e-commerce sales

Does that mean you just give them the credit card information over the phone?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I installed the Vintage Air Gen IV in my 72 last winter. I’m not a mechanic, so it probably took me a lot longer than necessary. Bought it through Summit. There was no shipping charge. There would have been had I purchased it direct from VA. Needed new pulleys. Found out that the dividers between the grooves are not all the same size. Live and learn. Unit works great for cool or heat. Realize that it will be somewhat noisy on “high”. Fan is inside the cabin. Air is re-circulated and not drawn in from the outside. I (and maybe only me) had to remove the inner fender. I also took out the dash for the install. Not fun, but felt kinda cool (no pun) when it all worked after I put it back together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
I installed the Vintage Air Gen IV in my 72 last winter. I’m not a mechanic, so it probably took me a lot longer than necessary. Bought it through Summit. There was no shipping charge. There would have been had I purchased it direct from VA. Non-AC car, and hassles with pulleys could have been avoided had I gone through VA.
I have been looking at Vintage Air for my '70 (factory A/C car) and thinking of it for my '66 (non-A/C car). I am leaning toward Summit, because of price and "free shipping"...

Also, with Summit, IF you attend some larger shows/events, I have seen "10% Off" coupon codes. $1300+, but I think you still have to have someone crimp some hose fittings, evacuate the system, and charge the refrigerant...

I like the idea that the VA includes a controller for the '70... For the '66, you use the factory controllers (I don't have any), so I'd have to purchase a repro/used set or additional VA control panel...

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've also read about the hoses being unfinished and I don't mind that at all. Probably much easy to route them where you want in case you want to do something a little different. Probably much easier to get through what used to be the fan hole in the firewall as well.

My neighbor is a manager at Jensen Tire here in town so the final crimping, evac and fill wont be much of a challenge. 10% off 1,400 is a hundred and 40 bucks, I'll have to watch for that one!! :) :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
The power steering can be run off the crank pulley only using the inside groove on the power steering pulley. The AC belt would then use the groove where the PS belt is and also run on the outside pulley of the PS pump. If your lower pulley has 3 grooves none may need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw that in "notes" pic :) good deal!!

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
I am not planning on attending any shows in the next few months, but if I do, I'll keep my eyes open... Summit had their free catalogs ( I was at Hot August Nights in Reno Nevada), and each catalog had its own discount code sticker glue to the front page (good for 4-5 weeks after the show), so I actually picked up several catalogs during the weekend, just in case I needed to make more than one purchase (I always seem to forget one or two things)...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I took a lot of pics during the install. Also learned a lot about what not to do. Will be glad to share if you want. Did your car originally have a 6 or 307? (there’s a reason for me asking) Favor: If you get a chance, check out my question in this forum regarding headers & VA.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was a 4 speed 12 bolt car... I'm only assuming it's always been a V8. Don't see much of a reason for a 12 bolt posi and a 6 cylinder but who knows. :) If you have the time I'm all ears. Show me the way!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
338 Posts
2 things for starters: (think I have this right) If the car came with a 6 or 307 (mine had the 307) the D side of the radiator is partially blocked. Had to cut a piece out of the core support. Also, you’ll have to drill 2 holes in the core support for hoses. The template in my Gen 4 kit for doing this was way off on the D side. Guess this is a little premature if you don’t have the kit yet, though ;=).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
338 Posts
Way ahead of me. Bet you’ve never seen this, though. Gap between condenser and radiator was too big. Had a few beers in the garage one night and saw a piece of lawn edging. Looks like it’s loose, but it isn’t. A few modifications and it snaps right onto the side tube of the condenser. I refer to it as my shrub shroud.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm in the same boat with specs and wish list
As nialator.

My quick question is..

The VA control switches...do they fit right
Where my old crusty oem dash controls go?

Or...

I don't want to mount under dash etc

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have mine yet but I think I can answer that one. Yes, they fit in they factory location. :)

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Fan is inside the cabin. Air is re-circulated and not drawn in from the outside.

Darren,I just happened to see your thread and read through it.
I installed a heat only VA unit in my '86 Monte SS.
I quoted Notes above because what this translates to is that due to air in the cab being re-circulated the windows will fog up.
I found this out after running my de-frost for 5 or 10 minutes.
You need to introduce fresh air into the cab to prevent this from happening.
I had emailed VA about this and here is the reply;
"You are correct that is happening because of using inside air only and the humidity in the air inside the car is causing the fogging up of the windows. Introducing outside air would be the only option to stop this issue. Originally these heaters were designed for Street Rods, Roadsters, and Jeeps that were not sealed up very tight with a lot of air leaks or no top at all just to get heat to the passengers. With a newer car with good door and window seals and well insulated the fogging up will happen without finding a way to introduce outside air. With our AC/Heat/Defrost systems we turn on the AC in the Defrost position to help remove the humidity. If you have any questions, give me a call.

Thanks"
Guy

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I read a lot about this also, I'm plan on purchasing the dual heat/air unit. As they said: “With our AC/Heat/Defrost systems we turn on the AC in the Defrost position to help remove the humidity”

I’m hoping this will alleviate that issue.

Reactions: GuysMonteSS
1 - 19 of 19 Posts