Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay fellas, here goes... A while back my battery started to go dead, it was old so I had it checked. It was fine so I changed out my alternator, it was a little below specs. Well, it worked for a bit but then the same thing started to happen so I changed my voltage regulator (it was original so i thought it couldnt hurt). No go, so my dad bought me a new battery because he was in some sort of mid life crisis happy mood.(i love it when that happens) So here I am taking my date back from her senior prom and all is well until i try to pull out of a local gas station after prom, and the car doesn't start. I got it jumped, drove it home and there it sits. Battery dead as a doornail and it isn't charging. What the heck?????? It worked fine before so I just assume the wiring is good. Is there anything that is not so obvious which I might have overlooked?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Check your charging circuits with a meter.

Your starting point is finding out the output of the alt and how much is going to the battery for charging.

------------------
Rob Mirabile TC #1079, ACES #4387
"If You Don't Drive It-Sell It"

The Ride
The Crew
Showing Off
The Lemans

67 Malibu Conv (always under construction)
64 Lemans Conv, Building for my brother-in-law

·
Registered
469 Posts
How is you ignition switch? I had a similar problem...poor charging, etc. Put a meter on your alternator and try wiggling the key. If you can make the meter fluctuate, the switch is bad.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, the switch is pretty old. I will try that. thanks a lot!

------------------
Russ B.

'68 Chevelle 2dr Ht,
'69 8.2" Powertrax rear
'72 402ci Rat
'74 454 heads
All drums; they're not so bad...
...nice first car, huh?
well, it will be as soon as I spruce it up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.