Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a Jensen stereo (digital display)in my chevelle, now if it sits for more than a week the battery is completly dead. The memory wire on the radio seems to be running the battery down. I hooked up a multi-meter between the neg. battery cable and the battery and it shows the memory wire drawing .105 amps (I hope I'm reading this right, in comparison, the dome light pulled .688 amps). If I unplug the memory wire I am showing no amp draw. My battery is a new 540cold cranking amp battery. Is this a bad battery, or is this radio drawing too much? Will a draw this size drain a battery in a week?
Any help you can give is appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Is the main power wire hooked to power with key on only or constant power? I had the same problem when I put a CD player in my truck.

I was so used to wiring stereo's up to continuous power because I like to not have to put the key on to play the radio, I did it with the CD player and it kept draining my battery.

So now I have the memory wire going to constant power and the others so the key has to be on. Fixed the problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Bob, I thought of that too,but the main power wire is hooked up to only work with the key on. The memory wire is the only wire hooked to constant power. Do you guys think that amount of amp draw is too much for a battery to take for a week,or do I need to get a different battery? I don't know what a typical stereo memory should draw, but it seem strange it would drain a battery in a week. I know the solution would be to drive the car more often :D .
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks
Steve
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top