Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if anyone out there has any experience with any of the aftermarket, boxed control arm kits for A-body cars, specifically 65 Chevelles. I am interested in either the Hotchkins or the Edelbrock kits. Any input would be appreciated.

------------------

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey Marvin,

I understand that they're the same units. Apparently Edelbrock and Hotchkis had some sort of arrangement at one time and the units carried both names. There're others as well - just check out Summmit and Jeg's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Marvin:
I have the Hotchkiss arms on my '66, and am happy with them. I don't know if my traction was improved cause the original 283 didn't really push it much. My engine now, ZZ4, with the arms and a posi will push it and the car chirps both tires nice and straight. I haven't had what they call wheel hop, which I suppose is what they're supposed to fix. I got them mainly so I could put a rear sway bar on it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a mild 350 in my Chevelle and get minimal hop, only when I'm really on it from a dead stop, I mainly wanted to improve the rear end in the turns. I'm running sway bars front and rear, polygraphite bushings up front and want to add some to the rear. I figured it was a good time to upgrade the control arms. Will it be noticeable?

·
Registered
648 Posts
i bought my boxed control arms, 1 inch rear sway bar and the poly bushings from performance suspension comp. 1-602-272-4085 for brochure. they were a lot cheaper than some and i'm very impresed with the handeling. i'm running a big block in a 69ss and have to admit to a bunch of wheel hop even with the boxed arms. i think it's the penion angle that caused my problem i installed some no-hop bars and it hooks up reallll good.good luck on your project. john

·
Registered
79 Posts
Marvin - do you know that another option would be to box your existing arms? This can be done by simply welding a piece of steel across the open side of the non-boxed arms.

Are your arms currently boxed? I noticed you mentioned that you are already using a rear sway bar. There has been past discussions on this site regarding whether the rears need to be boxed to handle the twisting stress of a rear sway bar.

Look through old posts in the Brake/Suspension section and you will find info on this. I'm not sure what the Hotchkis arms cost but I thought it was close to $500 - boxing your own arms can be done for less than $50.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, my control arms are not boxed. I was considering it but I feel that upgrading to Hotchkis arms would be much better. Besides, they come with the poly bushings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Marvin,

I bought the hotchkis and was very impressed with the quality of these parts.I don't have any road time with the arms, as I am still in the process of making my car road worthy.

I have an SS and lowers were boxed but the original uppers and side arms have no strength compared to aftermarket. My bushings were also shot; this made it an easy choice for me.

If you have $500 reserved for the car do it!

Brand new shinny powder coated suspension parts, new hardware and new poly bushings…nuff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.