Chevelles.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about adding power wimndows to my 66...... Anyone install one of the kits out there ?? need feedback on best kit and price. Looking at the one from True Connections

Thanks. Bill

·
Registered
645 Posts
Bill, just surf ebay for a good OEM one, I got one for my 70 and other than a minor motor problem they work and fit perfect (because they're a factory option) Aftermarket ones are kind of weird because they add on to your original window regulator and crank handle so you still have that nub sticking thru your door panel with some plastic cover they supply. In my opinion not something I would put in any of my chevelles, but to each his own.

good luck
-J

------------------
Jaber Racing&Restorations
My Blown Alky 70 SS
Current Projects, and past resto's
Dad's 67 SS 396 Convertable Survivor

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Back in the late '80's I installed several conversion kits from "SPAL". Like "J" said, they have a myriad of adapter hubs for the original crank-shaft, and a cover cap for the interior panel. They are a torquey sunovagun, and work nicely.

Word of warning though. Your window mechanism has to be top-notch. You have to be able to roll them up and down manually with little effort, NO sticky spots or binding. I had to turn away several jobs (retrofits on older stuff) because the window mechanisms were wiped out. It's not a fixit for bad mechanicals.

------------------
'64 El Camino
383 - TH-350 - 12bolt - 4wh pwr discs
My '64
Bedded down for the Winter.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I think there are some complete kits out there, that replace everything.

Later
Steve

------------------
66 327 Malibu (Written off Sept 1 2002 Hopefully can save)
86 V8 S10 Blazer 4x4
"Rice Eating Pony Killer"

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for info ... I was expecting to replace everything ....have new door panels with no crank holes , Looks like the kit for Chevelles from ELI is a full replacement but will double check

·
Premium Member
19,928 Posts
Two that you might look into. First is a system from autoloc.com. Nice thing about this kit is it retains all the manual assembly. It slips over the original regulator if you ever decide to return to manual windows. I have two pair installed in my 67 Chevelle. No messing with taking the door off and replacing the contents and they're only $170 a kit (2 windows). They also have factory replacement style kits but they're $400 a pair.

A second system that I bought for my 67 Elky (but haven't gotten around to install yet) does replace everything. Sold by A1 Electric, it's a direct factory replacement style. I think these were about $240 plus $80 for the switches and $10 or $15 for the boots. Same kit fits 66/67 Malibus and Elkys. I've opened the package to inspect them but never installed them.

If you have manual windows now and DON'T replace the door panels, standard GM-style switches won't cover the hole left by the manual crank anyway. If you're looking to replace the door panels anyway, the point is moot as new panels come with NO holes so you have a choice.

------------------
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
GR8PMKN

Dale's Place Team 67
Midwest Chevelle Regional Governing Council
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

[This message has been edited by Dale McIntosh (edited 02-05-2003).]

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for info Dale ,yes I have new door panels so will pbly go with ELI sold by A-1 they look complete and switches are GM style. Checked out the Autoloc replacement kits yes expensive and no GM type switches

Do you think the quality of the ELI from A-1 as good as the Autoloc??

·
Registered
134 Posts
CDN SS, i have the Electric life motors and arms in my '69. They work great. I wired them up with a custom wiring harness and BMW switches (because i had them around), but that was the hardest part of the install. The new parts are a true bolt on, they even use existing bolt holes on the inside of the door. I would reccomed them to anyone.

Brian

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian ..... great thats what I was looking for , someone who has used ELI, Thanks for replying. I was wondering if their wire harness would hook up to stock 66 GM switches , they have GM style switches but not quite the same in appearance .

·
Registered
166 Posts
What I want to know is why they don't have kits for 64-65 chevelles? Are our doors that different?

Tim

[This message has been edited by TimG (edited 02-06-2003).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts