Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Got em, love em! I bought a complete set of 4 for my 69. I emailed the eBay seller rather than bid on the auction to get a full set. I also replaced the wiring with 10g plus relays, and the "citi" running lights are wired into the marker lights. Just a couple things that I found out. You will need to punch a hole in each of your headlight buckets for the citi light wiring (even if you're not hooking it up, the socket interferes with the bucket). Also, all four light housings are the same, but the buckets aren't, you will need to modify two of them so the three tabs on the light line up with the three notches in the bucket. On the old lights, one of the tabs is clocked differently for the hi beam vs lo beam. Not a major thing, I took a punch and modified them. Before I did, the light just wouldn't seat, took me a bit of investigating to find out why. I will send you some pics of what I did.
I did have to finally adjust where the lights pointed. The old lights were so dim it didn't really matter where they pointed, with the new ones I was blinding the oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wilbur,

Sounds like, or should I say... LOOKS like you sold me! I will contact the seller to see about ordering a full set.

If you get a chance to email the photos, please do!

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
144 Posts
Tom:
You've got mail.
Wilbur

·
Registered
169 Posts
wilbur , can you actually see a difference in lighting on the road at night??? are they wirth the $$$ and labor to put them in????

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is great!

Thanks to your input here I just bid on a set (I don't think I care about the high beams for now) from ebay.

Quick question, could you tell me how much the enitre set cost you (if that's ok to ask)?

I would really like to see the pictures of how you got around the fittings. BTW, do you know how a person with no experience at all with cars can change the wiring/relays like you did?

Thanks a bunch,
Mastermind26 (Wil)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
476 Posts
Any state that has a safety vehicle inspection will find these lamps illegal, so you won't be able to get your car inspected. If you change the high beam lamps to this type with a three prong, that is also not allowed. Likewise, if the housings do not have a DOT #, it will not pass even if the light output is legal. 130/110 is not allowed, too bright. Also, if you change back to legal lamps to pass inspection, and then put these in, if the police stop you and check your vehicle, these are unsafety and your car could be towed in addition to the ticket. Let the buyer beware.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I can't stand those bungholes with the high-wattage headlights. It's all I can do to not point a Q-Beam at their face when they get within 20 feet of me. :mad:

I like what the truckers have been doing lately. When one of these cars passes them on the left, they have a light that shines right in the driver's face.

We've been driving just fine for 100 years without 1,000,000 candle-power headlamps. Why, all of a sudden, do we need polarized sunglasses and sunscreen to deal with oncoming cars at night? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you plan on traveling the speed of light! You'll need the 1 million candle watt powered lights to get light there... before you do!

Seriously... yep your right... we didn't need high wattage lights 25 years ago,

or:
electronic ingnition
am/fm/cd/xm
delayed wipers

and so on and so on

But I like the reliability of electronic ignition, the comfort of the fm/xm/cd the delayed wipers. And I sure as heck like being able to see farther down the road. Nothing like seeing the deer in time to stop.
And brighter lights or any kind of lights won't do any driver any good in they are pointing up in the air, into someones mirrors, etc. Point the darn things at the ground, drive it and enjoy it.

But that's just me!

·
Registered
144 Posts
There is a difference from the old lamps, but not like the aftermarket flamethrowers I have been seeing on the local ricers. I just got tired of missing intersections in the dark and not missing potholes. The new lights aren't any brighter than any new car on the road with their factory lamps - The old lights in the Chevelle were downright dim, I felt like I was driving with a flashlight. The high beams ARE really bright, but I only use them when I am out of town where there aren't streetlights (or traffic). The LED taillight upgrade is definitely an improvement, but they help during daylight. Those old taillights are hard to see in bright sunlight, especially when people have gotten used to the brighter lights on newer cars. I would hate to get tagged by someone not paying attention.

engineer- I don't understand the comment about the three prong plug on the hi beams not being allowed, the existing factory lamps are three prong. Am I missing something?

mastermind26 - you have mail- I sent you some pics, including the mods to the buckets.

As to what we "need" vs what we "want", there is nothing like an "old" car with some modern features. I suppose I could live without the 4 wheel discs, overdrive, electronic fuel injection, cruise control, CD player, 900 watt stereo, remote door locks, etc, but if they're available, why? Now if this winter weather would just end so I could actually drive it!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Yes, I agree 100% with what you guys are saying. After all, I have 12" disc brakes, Vortec heads, an overdrive transmission, and electronic ignition. I'll have EFI too when I can afford it. I still doubt if I'll ever put a stereo in the car though.

I'm running the GE H4 Halogen lamps on my car and have no trouble seeing a deer within stopping distance. There are a lot of long, dark highways in South Texas with A LOT of deer!

The only time I can't see the deer on the side of the road is when there's an oncoming car with too bright head-lights. These guys are running too powerful headlamps even when they're dimmed. That's what angers me. I drive a several hundred miles per week at night on those highways, so I speak from plenty of experience.

Run 1KW HID lamps for high-beams for all I care (if you have the power for it), as long as there are no oncoming cars within a mile. But make sure they dim like they're supposed to, so oncoming traffic can see something other than your lights. That's what I'm grumbling about.

·
Registered
476 Posts
sorry Wilbur, what I commented on was the conversion of a 4 lamp system where the high beam lamp was replaced with an aftermarket lamp. That is why you had to modify the bucket for the lamp to fit. The GM high beam housing bucket is made to not allow a low beam lamp to be installed. One can buy an aftermarket high beam lamp to fit the stock bucket housing but the bulb is a two prong like the original and that did not sound like that is what you got.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.