Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know of a company that fabricates blank guage panels (steel or aluminum) to replace the stock speedometer cluster? I want to run custom guages and have it look clean. I could make a panel myself but I think it would look too "home-made". Thx in advance, JC66.

[This message has been edited by JC66 (edited 09-13-99).]

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have now solution to the matter. I am also looking to do the same thing. I don't much like the "sweep" speedo in my 72. I have debated on buying the SS dash and inserting gauges in it. I know custom ones are made for pre 60 models cars and such. Maybe on of those "hot rod" mags can refer you to a company.... Then it's all about calling 1-800 numbers.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
WOW what a cool idea like an aluminum insert, but how would the speedo work correctly? maybe different gears in it for different trannies? i can picture it, large speedo and tach and smaller oil,volt,temp on the right and left sides, may give it that mid-70's trans-am look though. hmmmm. i think this could be a "money maker" for someone willing to do it. i'd buy it (or even better yet, make it) jk

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle5.jpg John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
63 Posts
Summit offers a digital pack that is slightly larger than the sweep area. I got one and then sent it back in favor of a full AM Phantom setup when my heater core pooped out. I chose the violent route of dessimating my innocent dash and ripping out all traces of ventilation equipment. The new dash is a simple plate of aluminum stretching from door to door housing a wad of gauges with a stand out neck for the tach above the column. If I can ever find my camera I will scan in some images of old and new.

------------------
1BADS72
Robert Anderson
pages.hotbot.com/photo/1bads72/

WIDE OPEN 'TIL YOU SEE GOD, THEN BRAKE!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I believe making a backnig shouldn't be to shabby of an idea. Its edges can be hidden beyond the inner border of the dash cover. As is the plastic cover on there now. That could even be a template. You would have to do some thinking/engineering when it came to rear mounting clearance, I think there is enough but am not sure. the speedo gauge swap is nothing to do. Most speedo manufactures make them according to modal of tranny used for mating purposes. I will do this next summer, when I drop in the big block.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.