Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...my wifes says to me that she saw the oil light come on briefly and then go out. I ask her "did it do this today?", to which she replies "oh no, it was the other day...three days ago I think". GU-FAW jaw drop!!!
As soon as she told me this I was out the door and checked the stick. It was DRY!! I kicked myself for not keeping an eye on it. Moral of the story, I need gauges but I'm not in a position for the SS dash (yet!). So I need some recommendations for some aftermarket gauges. Specifically I want oil and water, but if the best includes amps that's fine too. I have plans on fabricating a nice console (bench seats), as I do NOT want to screw it into the dash. Any recomendations on this as well?
Thanks for all the help!

------------------
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.

Fred
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
I recommend you check the oil once a week and add as necessary. Sorry bout that I couldn't resist. I think the light was exactly what you needed cause she may never have seen a guage with low oil pressure. I/ We usually put both on each car.

·
Registered
336 Posts
autometer and mallory both have nice oil/water guages (the small size, i think its 2 or 2.5" ?)

I know how you feel about not wanting to put holes in the dash but they look so nice in the bottom middle area where (i think) the cig. lighter is supposed to be.. above the ash tray and they fit perfect

mike

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chev64, thanks for the tip..heh heh heh...couldn't agree more about the both (idiot/gauge) addition though. No matter how many times you "think" you looked at the gauge, nothing catches your eyes like that light coming on.
mike, thanks for the input. going to local speed shop this weekend to see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi Fred,

I know the feeling.

I spun several bearings in the original 402 in my car back in '71. Same cause. By the time the light came on, as they say, bend over and kiss it goodbye. oh well.

I now have the autometer oil guage # 3421 in my car.
The autometer guages look like they belong with the SS dask as they are round, black with silver ring.

Check out the autometer guages. Pep Boys and most chains carry them.

FYI, just got home from cruise night. > 170 cars. Great weather.

Later,

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill T SS70 (edited 05-21-99).]

[This message has been edited by Bill T SS70 (edited 05-21-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.