Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like to replace my stock spedo fuel gauge and clock cluster with autometer or equivilent after market gauges. Fabricating shouldnt be a problem. I see a couple of different ways I could go about it. Anyone have any tips on how they did it and made it look clean? Anybody have any pics? thanx!

·
Registered
367 Posts
A lot of guys here have done this, myself included. I used a piece of stainless where the old guage cluster was and just cut to fit. Just a word of warning...I bought a VDO guage kit, and the fuel guage was not suited for my car. The sender matched the guage but the sender wouldn't work in my tank. The kits are apparently 'Universal' to fit "most" cars. Sorry, but I don't have any pics to post. Try a search though...this topic has been discussed many a time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I cant believe there isnt an aftermarket prefab kit or something for this. the factory guages and idiot lights just dont have any coolness to them. I had a 57 years ago and that dash was cool to use and look at.

·
Registered
367 Posts
There are 'pre-fabbed' units out there. I think Dakota Digital has one. None were available when I did mine and I don't feel like stripping it all out after doing it all. Guess I'll just hafta wait til I "need" new ones.

·
Premium Member
19,928 Posts
Here's a picture of a Dakota Digital dash in a 67 Chevelle. The 66/67 dashes don't lend themselves easily to custom gauge installation due to their inherent design. It can be done with a bit of work though. Check the two Chevelle dashes here to see my dash (67) and Herb Lumpp's (66); we both use the same digital gauge panel or here for a 66 Elky by John Bedenbender. John made his own and used standard electrical/mechanical gauges instead of digital.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts