Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket driveshaft manufacturer? I have a 66 GTO powered by a L72 427 with a 3.31 12-bolt posi. About to install a DNE 5-speed. Have a Denny’s flier. Looks impressive but know nothing about them. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dont know where you are located, but i had a driveshaft made for my big block nova at perry hall power eqip in baltimore md 410-893-8100. They will make anything you want and do very high quality work.They will ups also,if you call them tell them i gave you the number. Troy Miller

[This message has been edited by TROY (edited 02-14-99).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would check with a local transmission shop to see who is in your area locally. I've had driveshafts rebuilt and custom built by a locall welding shop and have never had a problem with there work. That way you don't have to worry if there measurements are correct for your applacation

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips, but I prefer to deal with a shop that specializes in high performance driveshafts. No local shops in my area (Searcy, AR) can perform dynamic balancing. Most machine shops "claim" to balance driveshafts after modifications. My idea of balancing includes more than scribing a line down the shaft to keep the caps in alignment.

I am not afraid of calculating driveshaft length. The Denny's flier has diagrams to show anyone how to determine the correct length. Besides, if I cannot get driveshaft length correct, my boss better hire a new Senior Design Engineer!

------------------

·
Registered
124 Posts
hey hodge the shop i was referring to is a high performance drivetrain shop. they only do driveshaft and rearend work,the owner himself does the driveshafts.he is very picky about his work,there is alot of shops around but thats the only one that i will take my stuff to. i used to work there,the man does excellent work.he does shafts from jags to 8 sec cars to mud racers.hes the man.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hodge,
My suggestion had nothing to do with your measurments. There is a driveshaft specalty shop about an hour up the road that I checked out and lo and behold they use the same equipment and only charge about double.I guess i'm just lucky are local weld/fab shop owner is also into the sport.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a driveshaft from Denny's for my '64. Excellent quality and the tech person was very helpful. Arrived 10 days after I ordered.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hodge,

I have a Denny's "Nitrous Ready" unit...no problems yet!
Did you notice the guarantee they have? Pretty impressive huh? The salespeople were very helpfull, they even told me I didn't need the shaft I bought, they said I could have gone with one of the cheaper ones they sell but I figured if I go with the nitrous ready (their strongest one) I'll NEVER have a problem!
Also look into Mark Williams, I know a few people who are using thier shafts and, although a little pricey there real quality stuff. they have a website too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, the Denny’s guarantee and prices caught my eye. My brother is into 4x4’s and forwarded the Denny’s flyer. With all the projects going on at the plant, I doubt I’ll get to work on the car until summer. Have a scattershield, steel flywheel, and the Doug-Nash 5-speed. Still have a shifter and clutch to go.

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.