Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i need to get a new dashpad for my 66 malibu,its turqoise.ive seen a few in catalogs
are they the same manufacturer? have opinions on them.thanks. rob

·
Registered
777 Posts
The aftermarket dashpads for my '70 were junk. Much harder than OEM, and the grain was barely there. Not sure of fit, as I never considered purchasing one. Your best bet is to find either an NOS one, or a very good condition used one. Good Luck.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
www.chevelles.com/showroom/Riffers70_1

·
Registered
423 Posts
The dash pads that OPG sold a couple of years ago were nothing to write home about. I ended up returning the one that I got (they were good about taking it back).

They came up with a new line about two years ago that seem a lot better, and you can get them in your desired color.

The best quality that I've seen is what comes out of "Just Dashes". I've been by their plant (not really that large of a place) and seen what they can do.

What they do is strip down your pad down to the metal (assuming that you have one to start with), replace the rigid foam pad, and then shrink on a new cover. You can select the grain structure if you want something non-stock. The materal that they use is black and they then use (I think PPG) dye to match it to the original color.

They can also do things like fill up the speaker hole should you want. (I'd like it that way for my 64 wagon)

They have been written up in a couple of the car magazines.

It's costly! But think about the fact that it's something that you will look at all the time that you are in your car!

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have thought very much of checking into Just Dashes but haven't come across anyone that has used them.
I read an article in Car Craft where they used Just Dashes to fix up a dash, with spectacular results they said.
Here is the question in the back of my mind though, if you could shed some light on it:
Generally, what kind of cost I look at to have them redo mine on my 68 chevelle. Don't need anything that exact, just a ballpark figure to get an idea of what I'm looking at to get mine back into shape one way or another.
Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought a brand new pad from CJ-Auto some years ago(for 1969)and it was excellent and price was competitive.Have a good friend that had his original mopar challenger dash done by just-dashes;they did an outstanding job.
Shawn

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ox68;

Please be sitting down as you read this;

As I recall, a 64/65 dash is about $300 by the time that they do the color matching.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
6 Posts
$300 sounds about right to me. It cost my dad $200 to repair two cracks in his GTO dash. The dashes from OPGI are about $290, and as Wes V said Just Dashes are much better. I was considering a Dash from OPGI, I'm glad I found this post. Looks like Just Dashes for me thank you.

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.