Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking around for a supplier of a good cowl hood for my 66. I've looked at the Unlimited Production hoods, but a couple guys I talked to said that they are pretty thin & require a ton of prep work. I'm looking for up to a 4 inch cowl. Need some more room under the hood. Anyone know of any other manufacturers out there? Last I checked with Harwood, they weren't making one for the 66 chevelles.

Thanks,
Jake

------------------
Black 66 SS396
Tubby's Drive In
members.xoom.com/Pgh_Knights/
Pittsburgh PA

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think you could find the type of hood you are looking for from Glasstek.I believe they are in Napierville,Ill.They make a lot of the hoods run on the outlaw street cars.My body man says they are very high quality.Goog luck John

·
Registered
659 Posts
I got a 4 inch cowl hood from Unlimited (and a front bumper) and I am very happy with both of them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought a 2 1/2" cowl hood from Unlimited, and am happy with it mainly because I have low standards, and it ended up being free.

I bought a bolt-on hood. The bolt holes are set up for either 68 or 69 hinges. The front holes lined up just swell, but the rear ones required me cutting new holes in my hinges. They were really, really off.

The hood also is slightly bowed, so no matter how I adjust it, the rear of it stays up. If I push down on it after closing the hood, the pressure on the hinges keeps the rear down, but it doesn't stay down on it's own.

In the middle of the cowl they used a piece of peg-board as support, and only covered it with one piece of mat so it was completly obvious what it was. It took three coats of paint to hide the little indentations of the holes.

The outside of the hood was flawless though. Some minor flashing had to come off, but other than that, it took maybe 10 minutes to make it paintable.

If I were to do it again, I'd buy one from Harwood.

Wes

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi Jake,
I've been looking for a hood for my '67 also. I was down in Charlotte this past weekend and ran into a manufacturer I'd never heard of. They're out of Tennessee, and the units they had for sale there seemed good quality. Bolt-on for the '67 would be $375. I don;t have their name with me, but I'll post it after I get it. Good Luck!

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction"
Gold #43
I've heard that the memory is the second thing to go.
I don't remember what the first thing is!?

G

·
I just bought a hood from Fiberglass Trends in CA. It's a 4" cowl for '66 'bolt on' as opposed to pin-on. I will use the low tension springs with the original hinges, and use dzus fasteners on the corners. It is a sturdy piece, and looks better in my opinion than the glasstek pieces. Took a LONG time to get. They make them on demand, and I think it takes 6-8 weeks plus delivery. I can take a picture and email it to you if you want.

Ryan Hoskins

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also took an interest in cowl hoods for my '66. It really hurts that harwood does not make cowl hoods for 64-67 chevelles, but they make them for S-10's and 80's malibus like THEY are the Hi-Po cars! They even make Dually cowl hoods! Also, they are close enough for me to drive and pick it up (if they made one for my car) Anyhow, I went to california for vacation a few months ago and stopped and checked out the Fiberglass Trends facilities in person. They are very knowledgable and friendly. Each one is hand made on request, and I think they said allow 3-6 weeks. If I were to get one, it would be from them.

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

·
Registered
367 Posts
Got the info on the place in Tennessee...it's American Sports Car Design...They're in Maryville Tennessee. Check them out at *americansportscar.com* or call 1-800-579-0777. They seemed like pretty good people. Let me know how you fare.

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
"Under Construction"
Gold #43

·
Registered
287 Posts
Two friends each have a Chevelle. The one with the Unlimited hood broke it. Poor quality. The one with the Glasstek loves it. No problems. I bought a Glasstek b/c my body shop said it was the best.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the posts guys.
I'm gonna look at each of these & go from there.
Maybe if we all bug harwood they'll finally make a cowl for us!

Jake

------------------
Black 66 SS396
Tubby's Drive In
members.xoom.com/Pgh_Knights/
Pittsburgh PA

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jake, I can tell you where not to buy and that's from Fiberglas Trends in CA. I got a cowl hood from them for my 66 and it needed a lot of work to get it to fit. It was also short on the front lip to hold the trim. I should have sent it back but a friend fixed it up . They said there molds were old and that I shouldn't expect something perfect from them. DUH! I'd try from some of the above mentioned places, good luck, Rick......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ryan, I believe it was 2 years ago. We had to build each side out about 1/4 inch and the front edge where the chrome strip goes was a thumbs width away from the fender. If it wasn't for the pain in the butt truck freight return, they would have had it back. Bummer to ship from east to west. I'm glad you had good luck.

G

·
I am a strong believer in Glasstek fiberglass. I have owned two of their hoods, and was very impressed with the fit, finish, and quality. They are quite a bit more expensive (my last bolt-on was $600), but you get what you pay for.

Todd G
Malibu Muscle
http://www.qis.net/~tgeisler

------------------

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Jake go to carlisle next week they probley have what you need with no shipping cost to it. I will be there saturday and sunday to get parts for my 64.
Hottrod 64

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
As mentioned previously American Sports Car Design is worth checking into. I have seen several of their hoods and they are of very high quality. They are very comparable to Harwood. They run around $400.00.

http://www.americansportscar.com

Good Luck

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
[email protected]

·
Registered
367 Posts
I spoke to a sales rep from Harwood yesterday, and told him about all of us with 66's and 67's that would like cowl hoods. He explained that the reason they don't make them is because they are different for each year, and it is not economically healthy to make a mold and all that for one year's model. They do the 68-69 and the 70-72 because one hood fits more than one year. I can understand from a business aspect, but still wish they would help us out.

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
"Under Construction"
Gold #43

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.