Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
For any Chevelle purists out there, you might want to skip this post already. We have a 1972 Chevelle, that we have mounted bucket seats from a 1992 Mitsubishi. They look great, but we need a console to fit between them. Our shifter is on the column, so the standard consoles won't work for us. We are just looking for something with a cup holder and some storage. It seems like most of the aftermarket ones we've seen are too tall and not long enough. More made for vans and SUV's. Does anybody know of one about the same size as the repro chevelle consoles, but without the shifter space?
Thanks,
Duane

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey Duane.

Thought I'd let you know what I'm doing, since no one else had jumped on this yet. I made my own console. It was quite a project, but I think it will come out fine.
If you don't want the hassle of making one, I'd suggest going through some junk yards or ebay to see what you want and mostly, what will fit. There's lots of posts on Camaro consoles, since they make shifters to drop into and replace the stock shifting plate. Since it seems you'd like to keep the shifter on the column, maybe the the browse through the junk yard would be a good place to start?

Good luck.
Dale

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Dale, do you have pictures? I'm thinking about building a custom console around the horseshoe shifter. I'd use a repro shift indicator and the top brushed aluminum piece, but I'd build the rest of the console around it. Then I'd let the upholsterer finish it out to match the rest of the interior. Any ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
im currently building one as we speak. i layed it out w/ card board. it is going to start at the dash and end right at the end of my buckets. it will have vinal on the sides w/ either stainless steel or alum for the center. it wil house my hurst shifter, equilizer and guages.. here are a few shots.

aaron

·
Super Moderator
990 Posts
Originally posted by Randy Mosier:
Dale, do you have pictures? I'm thinking about building a custom console around the horseshoe shifter. I'd use a repro shift indicator and the top brushed aluminum piece, but I'd build the rest of the console around it. Then I'd let the upholsterer finish it out to match the rest of the interior. Any ideas would be helpful.
Hey Randy I will be working on one sometime in the Fall that I hope to setup to be fairly universal for at least 68-72 Chevelles and Elkys. It will have a bolt in top plate that could be cut for any shifter/indicator/cup holder/power window switchs. It will also curve up to the dash with a mounting place for a din style radio and gauges. At least thats the plan.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey Randy.

Yeah, I have a few...

Here's the basic 5, showing the progress. I'm down to the upholstering the plywood area that holds the stereo (made it removeable to get to the fuses and amplifiers underneath). I also added a couple of gauge holders an arm rest that incorporated cupholders and storage. The 'black' area in the console was done with truck bed coating, for coins, keys and other junk I don't want inside the upholstered console storage areas.

I also backed away from attaching it to the dash as many people do, which helped with the stereo removal and being able to update that one area where the stereo components mount, incase I change my mind or get a DVD player for the dash. ;)

The plan

The metal work

added the foam

in the car, mostly done

in the car w/o the seats

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, suggestions... :confused:

Dale

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Keep me up to speed on that Jay, and Dale, all I can say is WOW!! Nice job!

·
5,856 Posts
jnorth said:
I will be working on one sometime in the Fall that I hope to setup to be fairly universal for at least 68-72 Chevelles and Elkys. It will have a bolt in top plate that could be cut for any shifter/indicator/cup holder/power window switchs. It will also curve up to the dash with a mounting place for a din style radio and gauges. At least thats the plan.
Jim,how's the custom 68-72 console project coming along? :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
990 Posts
Clint44 said:
Jim,how's the custom 68-72 console project coming along? :thumbsup:
Got stalled...but the plan remains the same! I had a couple of other cars that I needed to work on before I could get into the Chevelle again. Hopefully the other stuff will be out soon and the velle will be back in. :)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Camaro or chevelle console with the shifter plate replaced with a custom piece of black plexiglass with the holes cut for cups. I have a friend that used a piece of 1/2 inch thick plexiglass and routered the edges to round it off a bit and make it sit lower in the console.

unfortunately no pics.

Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts