Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing some aftermarket gauges. I have a 1969 Chevelle Concours with a 350. I have the original set-up with a voltage regulator and alternator. My question is where to hook up the amp meter.Is there a wire under the dash? Do I hook it up at the horn relay where the wire from the battery comes over? Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"GAUGES"...please don't deduct for spelling...LOL

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Muggsy

This has been discussed many times. It is generally accepted that it’s far better to install a volt gauge rather than an amp gauge. Shorting the wire to or from the amp gauge can start a fire inside your car. In additions to the safety concern the added wire in the start solenoid circuit can contribute to hot starting problems.

If you are set on using the amp gauge then you would splice into the red #10 wire that runs between the horn relay and the J-block by the battery. It is important the have #14 fusible link on the wire from the battery to the J-block also on the amp gauge return wire. On the end that connects to the horn relay.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Don't put that ammeter in!
I did so, and it worked fine for a month and a half... Then one day (4 days ago) it shorted without a warning, and the whole gauges set caught on fire..
I almost lost my car...

I don't want to see that kind of thing happends to anybody..
Do yourself and your car a favorite, and get a volt meter.. Much easier to hook up and safer.

If you want to hook that ammeter up.. make sure you've got a fire extinguisher in the car.. Beucase one day.. You'll need it.

------------------
Shai
1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr
TC member #1278

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I ran aftermarket ammeters for years on different cars with no problems (the cheap Sun 3-gauge panels), but I used dual 10-ga. wires. It still got really hot at the gauge though.

If you insist on using an ammeter, see if you can find the shunt type. These are safe. Otherwise, you're better off with a volt meter.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 3-19-02)

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Well, I happen to like to see amps/load on the generator; too in addition to the volts, but I wouldn't want all that juice of the total geneartor output coming through the cockpit.

If you can't find an aftermarket shunt type ammeter, maybe you can try to adapt one from the junkyard. My '72 plymouth has one. Shouldn't be too tough to look at the circuit schematic for the donor car and adapt something to fit your car.

My $0.02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts