Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
i have a 69 chevelle. how hard would it be to put an autometer tach and speedo where my factory speedo and fuel/idiot lights go. also, installing other gagues in the dash around the tach and speedo. i plan on rewiring the entire car when i do this so everything will be out of the car.

J

·
0 Posts
I have a 69 chevelle with 5" Phantom Autometer speedo and tach in place of the original gauges. I didn't install it but had it apart and put it back together. The entire gauge cluster was removed and the mounting plate reused. The guages fit very good except the bottom of the gauge shows about 1" of the gauge case. I painted it black and it is not noticable by anyone but me. I also installed a 2 1/8" autometer fuel gauge in where the clock would go. I had an electrician put in an under dask red ammeter light and just above the light switch a bright light indicator bulb.
Everyone that has seen it likes the dash with the gauges. I also put a three gauge unit under the dask for volts, oil press, and temp. and the console fit with plenty of room.

J

·
0 Posts
I can take some pictures and mail them to you. I don't have the ability to send them via email. What would I need to send them via email. Special digital camera?

Let me know if you want them. In that case I would need your address.
John

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to email them you would either need a digital camera or a scaner. dont worry about mailing them, i can picture what it looks like, the only thing i was concerned about was how to mount them. thanks anyways though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: after market gagues

I know this is a very old thread , but this is something that I would like to do. I've looked at the classic dash thunder road pieces but everything I've read about them didn't sound good. Unless they've improved their product lately.
So I thought I might try to revive an old thread in hopes of finding some helpful ideas .
Thanks in advance for your help ,Brad

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

What about Dakota Digital?

Dakota Digital - Digital Instrumentation and Accessories

I know this is a very old thread , but this is something that I would like to do. I've looked at the classic dash thunder road pieces but everything I've read about them didn't sound good. Unless they've improved their product lately.
So I thought I might try to revive an old thread in hopes of finding some helpful ideas .
Thanks in advance for your help ,Brad

·
Registered
62 Posts

Thanks Steve , I've looked at those too and there not bad looking, but just looking at all options before I jump in deep.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I seen that a member here named TC had done this. If he or someone could post some photos and maybe some other helpful instructions, that would be GREAT... Thank you ,Brad

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've still been digging and I came up with an old thread called "show us your custom dash" in there a member called "shawn's 69conv" shared some photos of how he done his. If you read this could you Please Help me with this. You mentioned some trimming on the column support , any other tips that would be helpful would be appreciated.
Thank You... ,Brad

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I've still been digging and I came up with an old thread called "show us your custom dash" in there a member called "shawn's 69conv" shared some photos of how he done his. If you read this could you Please Help me with this. You mentioned some trimming on the column support , any other tips that would be helpful would be appreciated.
Thank You... ,Brad
If you can find one of his post in that thread click on his name on the profile in the upper left. A drop down list of options will appear, one will say last activity, click on that, it will tell you the last time he visited this site. You can send him a PM too, but if he hasn't been here in a while you probably won't get a response.

Good luck.

Steve R

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Installing custom gauges usually isn't too hard if you make a faceplate. Cut holes for the new gauges and reuse the original lighting and any other controls if needed. Also be careful to choose ones that will fit all the gauges you want don't just get the biggest ones to find out they don't fit. The biggest part is wiring the dash take some time and get a connector that will accommodate all the wires for an easy one click plug and play. I've done a 71 chevelle a 77 camero a 65 chevelle and my 64 chevelle they all worked great the wiring on my 64 is the best so far looks professional. I like using aluminum that's thin enough to easily cut and bend to the contour if needed.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Here's the Autometer Speedo, Tach and Gas gauges mounted in my 69 dash. Fairly easy to do. Just needs a little cutting and some help from a rat tail file and they slide right in.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts