Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that my car has idiot lights, I would like to purchase an aftermarket oil and water temp gauge. I would convert the dash but I want to keep it orig.

I was considering purchasing the 2" gauges by Auto Meter.

Is Auto Meter a good choice and do I go mechanical or electrical.

In the past I always used mechanaical but I hear the electrical is just as reliable.

Thks

------------------
70 SS - L34
Sea Mist Green
N.J.
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought a set of Autometer Phantom Gauges a while back for my Dodge Challenger, and they are wonderful.. I used electrical everything except for oil pressure.. It's all up to you, I believe you should just go for what's cheaper.. I will however say that I used the electrical water temp because I didn't wnat to mess with the routing of hoses etc.., but I experienced a problem in that when the car would get wet up there for whatever reason the gauge would mess up.. I'm sure if you install it properly it will be fine..

------------------
Scott, 20
Dallas, 70 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have AutoMeter Ultra-Lites in my Chevelle. I love them. I would go with the mechanical gauges for ease of instalation and I believe they are less likely to screw up. Don't use the stupid plastic line that is supplied with the Oil Pressure gauge though, spend the money and buy the braided steel one that AutoMeter sells. It is well worth the money. The first time the plastic line gets cut or melts and oil goes all over you will see it. Just route the line nicely on the oil pressure and be carefull with the capillary tube on the water temp gauge and don't bend it too sharp and it will be very nice. Autometer has some great products, and are good to deal with if any problems arise.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I used Autometer Phantom gauges also (complete set with tach and all).

I like to use the electrical gauges but you could argue a case for both sides.

If you are running an automatic transmission, you may want to have an electrical temperature gauge and get an extra sending unit to mount in the transmission pan. That way you can wire it up with a selector switch to see how the trans is doing (while towing up hill an an example).

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
167 Posts
Next time I order stuff from summit, I was planning to get an Autometer electric oil pressure gauge. I've used Autometer before, and they were always great. I was going to go with electric on the oil pressure because I experienced the plastic oil tube troubles that JC67SS spoke of, and wanted to avoid that on my current car. Any pros or cons to the electric oil pressure gauge? Is that braided steel line that good? How much is it? Once you have a big oil leak in the passenger area of your car, you don't want to go there again!

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Chalk up another vote for Autometer gauges. We've used them in all our cars and never had a problem. I'm currently thinking of getting a set of electric gauges so that I can install them in a A-pillar gauge pod in my 81. Should be a nice touch.

J.J. Fig

------------------
MCC member #256
http://www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
I paid $30 for a 3 foot section of braided steel line. It comes with the ends on and some adapters if needed. It is great. Won't cut or melt, and don't have to worry about overtightening like plastic. I like the idea of not having a sensor strapped to the side of my engine as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.