Team Chevelle banner

AFR vs. Pro Action

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Wolfplace 
#1 ·
I'm in the middle of the winter tear down of my race motor in my 68. Its a 406, with 195cc AFR heads. The car runs 11.05 all day without nitrous. Now part of the upgrade is a to step up to a solid roller putting the lift up to .645/.625 from .537/557. also a piston change to go form 11:1 to 13:1

Now my buddy has suggested for cheap i could buy his Pro Action 220 cc heads. they have a 4cc smaller chamber than my AFRs.

Does anyone have any experience with these heads? I know my AFRs work very well but I think the small port is going to be a limiting factor pretty soon.

#2 · (Edited)
I am by far any expert, but from what I've seen a ported AFR 195 w/larger valves will easily go toe to toe with unported 220 cc heads from other brands.

Maybe Mike (wolfplace) will chime it on the topic.

#3 ·
What is your new cams duration?

How high do you want to spin the engine, both peak power and shift point?

I assume you currently have 2.02 valves in the AFR heads?

#5 ·
the new duration will be 252/260 which is almost the same as the old duration. Yes the AFRs have 2.02s, I shift at about 6000, and it comes through the lights at about 6600. The other mystery we found is all the intake seats seem to be sunk in the AFRs. All the valves are slightly lower than the exhausts. That has me a little worried.

#8 ·
The pro actions are not ported at all, just as cast.

The other thing I was just looking into would be going to a AFR race ready 210. If I got a bare version, since i need springs anywayn but have all the other hardware. All I would really need is a set of valves. Anyone have an idea what the part number 1054 can be found for?

#10 ·
The pro actions are not ported at all, just as cast.

The other thing I was just looking into would be going to a AFR race ready 210. If I got a bare version, since i need springs anywayn but have all the other hardware. All I would really need is a set of valves. Anyone have an idea what the part number 1054 can be found for?
=
At 6000 I think the head you have is a better choice than a 220

The intake valve appears to sit lower than the ex valves, I seriously doubt they are "sunk" unless someone did a valve job on them.

The AFR 210 comes with a roller spring & a longer valve.

Now the bad news,,,
It will probably be a few months before you would see a set as AFR is really behind on the SB stuff.
BB is not a problem but with their recent move to a new location & Tony redesigning all the SB heads plus a recall because of a valve issue the small block heads are out about 16 weeks at this time on the 195's & further on the 195 Comp ported & 210 heads.
I do not have a date on the these at all yet, just "estimates"

This will get better in the future but at this time they are a bit behind ;)

The good news is the new heads are in my opinion the best out of the box
SB head available
The new Eliminator Race Ready 195 will outflow the old 210 & the Competition ported 195 goes over 300 CFM

Yes I have an idea of what the AFR head can be found for :D
If you email me I can probably save you a buck or two on them either bare of complete.

#9 ·
If you are only looking for peak power to occur at 6000 RPM. I would stay with the AFR head and have it ported keeping the port cross section as small as possible and pick up a bit of flow up top. As with most CNC heads you can probably lay the short side back a little and pick up some top end flow.

BTW your new cam matches the 6000 RPM peak power point as well.

How much HP are you looking for?

#13 ·
=
Hi Brian.
I am aware that the 195's are in stock now at some dealers but I have been out & have some on order.
Most of my customers have been willing to wait mostly because of the level of service they receive here so it has not been a big issue for me, annoying at times but nothing I can't live with :)

BTW, for the few that could not wait, you were mentioned as a source ;)

And just a quick thank you to those of you here that have chosen to allow me to help with your projects,,,, you all know who you are :yes: :beers:

The orders are being filled on an as ordered basis & AFR is now up to Dec or Jan at last count.
I will be keeping a few sets in stock too as soon as I get caught up but have been behind for some time.
I was told they will still be 12 to 16 weeks from the order date but my experience at the present time has been the latter.

As for the 195 Comp's & 210's, the estimated shipping has been "a few months" since last year.
When I see them I will give my customers a date.
Until then I am not in the habit of giving dates on product that is not available as of this time.

I went through this back in 2002 ago when the BB heads came out. It took me about 9 months for the first set of 315's :)

I talked to Tony about 3 weeks ago & he was just signing off on the 210's so I am hopeful that at this time they are close as I have had two sets of Competition ported 195's on order going on 5 months now.

As I said, this should all change in the near future now that they are up in running in their new digs & have the recall issue pretty well behind them & expect the lead time to be more in line with the BB & Ford heads which has averaged 3 to 6 weeks with most at 4 to 5.

#12 ·
I would wait and see if the Pro-action stuff pans out. At least with AFR you have a reputable company with an owner who stands behind his product......can't say the same about Pro-action, yet.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.