Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a complete valve spring package from some AFR's heads. They were never run, the guy changed directions with his build and went to different springs. They are 1.550 solid roller springs with 10 degree 4140 moly retainers. AFR advertises them at 225#'s seat pressure/.710 max lift.

Anyone know the installed height AFR uses? I'm going to check the pressures on them and use them in my Brodix heads for a cam change.

I also got the spring locators and locks but I don't think the locks will work. I think AFR uses 8mm valves?? I have 11/32 stems.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
I picked up a complete valve spring package from some AFR's heads. They were never run, the guy changed directions with his build and went to different springs. They are 1.550 solid roller springs with 10 degree 4140 moly retainers. AFR advertises them at 225#'s seat pressure/.710 max lift.

Anyone know the installed height AFR uses? I'm going to check the pressures on them and use them in my Brodix heads for a cam change.

I also got the spring locators and locks but I don't think the locks will work. I think AFR uses 8mm valves?? I have 11/32 stems.
=
1.950"

·
Registered
664 Posts
the bbc heads have 11/32 valves,some of the sbc heads have the 8mm

best is to mic up a valve

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
the bbc heads have 11/32 valves,some of the sbc heads have the 8mm

best is to mic up a valve
=
That is the Small Block spring & all of the small blocks have 8mm stems unless they are a couple of years old,,

And since the small block uses bead locks & the Rat conventional locks it is pretty easy to tell the difference ;)

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
=
Yep they are 10° so they will fit any 10° lock

Thanks again Mike. I'm not up to date with this head stuff. The bead lock ordeal made it sound like special retainers were involved. I barely know enough about conventional parts so I was a little lost :confused:

I think most retainers are universal and the locks must be matched to the size/type valve used. I figured the AFR heads had 8mm valves so I'd just need 11/32" locks for my valves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts