Team Chevelle banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure others have run into this problem. I almost expected something like this knowing the exhaust ports were slightly higher.

Alternator lower bracket mounts to the front of the head w/2 bolts just fine. The 3rd bolt is on the side above #1 exhaust port. The threaded hole in the mounting boss is 1/2" too high.

Options:
1. Should I drill & tap the head?
2. Let it go without a bolt?
3. Cast bracket not easily modified.
4. Is there a GM bracket from another year that will work?
5. Aftermarket brackets (rather have stock look)

AC Bracket again has 2 mounting bolts on the front of the head. Top hole is 3/8" but should be 7/16". I know how to fix this one. There are also 2 mounting bolts on the port side of the head. One closest to the front has a mounting boss that isn't drilled. The other mount uses the manifold bolt. The port is raised 3/8" and will not work. I'm thinking this one isn't getting used or maybe slotted bracket.

Options:
1. Forward mount I think I can drill and tap the boss. I might have to shim to fit.
2, Rear mount bracket might be slotted 3/8" (looks less critical)
3. Aftermarket mount

I noticed all aftermarket mounts only seem to use the front of the head for mounting. Were these thing just over designed back-in-the-day?

Thanks for looking and any input is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
532 Posts
Take a look at Alan Groves web site, he makes "aftermarket" brackets for repositioning / replacing stock factory mounts for alternator, A/C, etc. I used his low mount to reposition my 70 El Camino alternator. They are made from serious steel that you won't break. Unless you wish to retain the factory brackets.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I can't use the low mount alternator with power steering. The AC bracket looks like a good option. I had seen this on a search but didn't know who made it. I'd like to keep the compressor really close to the current location so I don't need to mess with new hoses if possible.

·
Premium Member
6,791 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,173 Posts
The bigger problem will be mounting your exhaust manifolds or headers to the heads with the stock brackets. I can't tell with the duct tape over the ports, but it looks like a no go.

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Does the bracket mount to the exh. manifold that possibly has another threaded hole or stud ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a BB? Aftermarket lower alternator bracket is welded steel and can be modified. CHEVROLET Trans-Dapt Performance Products 9502 Trans-Dapt Performance Steel Alternator Brackets | Summit Racing chrome is cheapest but painted black is also avaible.
I was lucky and my oem brackets only needed minor grinding to fit my Brodix heads. Bolt holes was perfect match.
The painted version looks like a pretty good option. Easy enough to modify. Might even be able to heat and bent that one. Thank You. Thinking about having my brackets powder coated silver to resemble aluminum. Might look good with the heads and aluminum water pump.

·
Premium Member
6,791 Posts
The painted version looks like a pretty good option. Easy enough to modify. Might even be able to heat and bent that one. Thank You. Thinking about having my brackets powder coated silver to resemble aluminum. Might look good with the heads and aluminum water pump.
If you are going to heat and bend or cut and weld and have it powder coated you may as well go with the chrome. Its just to modify so it fits and have it blasted before powder coating it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bigger problem will be mounting your exhaust manifolds or headers to the heads with the stock brackets. I can't tell with the duct tape over the ports, but it looks like a no go.
The rear mount on the AC bracket is normally secured with the exhaust port. When using stock heads and headers I needed to use a big nut and a washer to shim things and make it work. Now, with a raised port I'm looking at slotting the hole 3/8" or letting it go without a bolt. I'm using a small Sanden compressor so I'm hoping this won't be an issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are going to heat and bend or cut and weld and have it powder coated you may as well go with the chrome. Its just to modify so it fits and have it blasted before powder coating it.
Wasn't sure if you could powder coat chrome. Even if blasted I didn't know if the chrome might let go over time.
I do mechanical and stay far away from body & paint.

·
Premium Member
6,791 Posts
Wasn't sure if you could powder coat chrome. Even if blasted I didn't know if the chrome might let go over time.
I do mechanical and stay far away from body & paint.
I work with pre treatment and powder coating and have done it that way with sucess. On parts like that the chrome is usually very thinn and it will go away after blasting.
I have even powder coated on chrome parts that was only glass bead blasted to ruff up the surface and it has worked and hold up for years so far.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevelle SS
240 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I can't use the low mount alternator with power steering. The AC bracket looks like a good option. I had seen this on a search but didn't know who made it. I'd like to keep the compressor really close to the current location so I don't need to mess with new hoses if possible.
I ended up going with a complete bracket and pulley kit from Jones Racing and didn't use the Alan Grove A/C mount that came with the Classic Auto Air kit for my '67. If you're interested in it, make me an offer...

Part # 118R.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I work with pre treatment and powder coating and have done it that way with sucess. On parts like that the chrome is usually very thinn and it will go away after blasting.
I have even powder coated on chrome parts that was only glass bead blasted to ruff up the surface and it has worked and hold up for years so far.
I'm hoping the plating will come off. I might be using heat to hopefully just bend, if not cut & weld.
The new one doesn't look like it will push the bottom as far from the head as the stock bracket. That will change the proper location of the slotted arc in the top bracket.
Part is ordered so I guess we're gonna find out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up going with a complete bracket and pulley kit from Jones Racing and didn't use the Alan Grove A/C mount that came with the Classic Auto Air kit for my '67. If you're interested in it, make me an offer...

Part # 118R.
Thanks for the offer to sell, but I think I got the stock bracket to work with 3 mounting spots. The 4th one at the exhaust port will just hang there without a bolt. Using the smaller & much lighter Sanden compressor shouldn't stress the bracket like the massive stock version.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The alternator bracket worked out really nice. The area that needed bending was easy enough to bend without heat and otherwise fit very well. I am going with the stock AC bracket using 3 of 4 mounting points. I needed to shave down a mounting pad on the head before drill & tap. Again it seems to fit well. I think I'll powder coat the unchromed brackets in silver to resemble the other aluminum parts. Only bracket to worry about now is the upper power steering. I think I can handle that one.

·
Premium Member
6,791 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is an old Cutler intake from a boat. I had to add a couple bungs for heater and bypass. I also added a mounting boss for the alternator upper bracket. The manifold was also shortened 3/4" so I could close the hood (I hope). Using shorter injectors meant I had to modify the bosses for the fuel rail. More work than I planned but it looks pretty cool. Waiting on dyno time. this shop has been hit by Covid so I'm waiting a month just to get a date out of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts