Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ok its importent to use correct gasket for the block, I assume your block is a mark IV 454(70-90). They was made both series cold and parallell cold, wrong gasket and you will have problems. You can convert serie to parallell of you want. Here are some links.

This.

Also When the heads come off the first thing I’d be checking is the head gasket fitment . Would suck to have the same problem with new heads........or take your heads off and check the headgasket, and maybe you’ll luck out and it’s just that simple.
On a side note. if people are trying to get heads in a reasonable amount of time, brodix rr-o, rr-r, ds320 and ds 360 are what’s in stock from Spohn in Georgia, has pallets of them ready to go.

·
Registered
747 Posts
FWIW

I am picking up my engine from the machine shop this weekend and I went with afr 265 heads . I was gonna go with the brodix but after talking to a few engine builders they seemed to like the quality of afr better. I still don't think you can go wrong . My combo is a 489 , 10.2:1 , afr 265 , straub 243,610,109lsa , rpm air gap , prosystems 1000 carb . Hoping it will be a whole lot of fun in My 70.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
FWIW

I am picking up my engine from the machine shop this weekend and I went with afr 265 heads . I was gonna go with the brodix but after talking to a few engine builders they seemed to like the quality of afr better. I still don't think you can go wrong . My combo is a 489 , 10.2:1 , afr 265 , straub 243,610,109lsa , rpm air gap , prosystems 1000 carb . Hoping it will be a whole lot of fun in My 70.
sounds like a great combo! What kind of power are you making with it?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
21 - 27 of 27 Posts