Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s the stance now. Except I’d say the front is about an inch lower than whats shown in the pics due to the new BBC. I’m thinking about another inch on the front and two-ish in the rear. Want it lower but not slammed.

Question is: Am I better off; or maybe better worded, is there a big advantage to: finding a lowering kit or coil over kit to lower it versus just cutting 1 and 2 inches out of the springs?

Some other aspects about the car is:
This is the stock suspension w/disk fronts drum rear. I do plan on enhancing the suspension for better handling and rear disks, but this could be several years away. It’s becoming driving season and I’d like to get closer to the look I want while I’m beating the streets.

These ARE NOT the wheels that I am going to run with. I’ve decided on 17” wheels (most likely Billet Hiboy’s or the Street Star) and am still figuring out whether to go 8” wide all around or 8” and 9.5”. As far as profile, haven’t decided yet on tire height. I’d like the top of the tires to tuck 1 to 2 inches under the top of the wheel well.

Just had a 496 BBC built for it and having some other minor things being done to it. If I were to cut the springs or it’s a good option to lower I guess now is the time to ask him to do it while he’s still got it. If I do cut the springs, would I be better off buying the wheels and tires that I think I want and get the cut for the look I want. Of should I have it lowered first and then once that’s done try and select a profile for that “look”?

·
Registered
257 Posts
First, dont cut the springs. It a temp solution and you will regret it; springs were designed to a certain height and rate for a reason. Second if you are going to lower the car, do it right. I say this because it will completley change the look, drivability, comfort, handling and your overall enjoyment of the car. Do it right with a good set of springs and a well built shock to absorb them. If you can cough up the money go for coil-overs. What is the price range you are looking at?

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
First, dont cut the springs. It a temp solution and you will regret it; springs were designed to a certain height and rate for a reason. Second if you are going to lower the car, do it right. I say this because it will completley change the look, drivability, comfort, handling and your overall enjoyment of the car. Do it right with a good set of springs and a well built shock to absorb them. If you can cough up the money go for coil-overs. What is the price range you are looking at?
I disagree. I cut both my front and rear springs. The fact is the factory spring length is far too long, and the rate far too low. A set you can buy is going to be shorter with a stiffer spring rate, just like if you cut them. When I first got my car it rode like a Cadillac. If you are willing to spend the time, I say cut a coil off the front, drive it and see if you like it. That way you didnt spend anything. I love mine, 1.5 coils in front, half a coil in back. Rides still soft, but firm and handles well. No reason you cant cut the springs. However, if you want to lower that much in the rear, you probably cant cut them that much. There is not a spring perch to hold the spring in like on the front. You have to have the pigtail, which you could bend into it, but it would be difficult. You will probably just have to buy springs for the back. Buy your wheels and tires first, then fit the car to them. Also, go with less sidewall for the front tires like on mine, it makes it lower and it looks lower. Those tires you have in the front look like meats that should be on the back, too beefy. IMO :beers:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
This is a common misconception; springs are not "designed" to be run at any specific height. They are designed for a specific rate by its wire size and wire diameter, the spring length is the final determining factor which is why cutting coils results in increasing rate (not a bad thing). Always remember the motion ratio of the spring when deciding how much to cut, it is about 2:1.

If funds will allow I would look into the ATS dropped spindle available either direct or through Marcus at SC&C. Marcus is a great resource and will guide you in the right direction should funds allow.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
I think starting with a good set of lowered springs will do just fine. Many have gotten away with cutting them and that is fine, but im not a big fan and would recommend getting a new set of lower springs instead.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If funds will allow .......
BTW, thanx for the responses.

Funds are not an issue, well to a degreee they are not. But time frame is. Ultimately, I would like to do it right with a bonifide suspension kit, though I haven't really researched which is best, hotchkis, GW or SCC? Read about them but haven't decided which is best or figured out exactly what I'm shooting for.

I've spent big $$$ on the new 496 this year, looks like will do it again for wheels, then have a few other maintenance items like getting the top to line up correctly, and getting the right combo with trans and rear end with the new engine. PLus looks like I'm movng across country in the next few months (just when it's becoming driving season here It's ending where I'm going) :sad: .

So, I don't forsee getting around to the figuring out what to do with my suspension for another year or two. I'm trying to get a little closer to the stance and wheels I want for the little bit of driving I will get until it gets blast furnace hot. As it is now, the shop still has my car waiting for my back ordered headers to finnish the install of my new engine, plus some other miscellaneous work. This place is real busy and it took a long time to get where I'm at right now. So I figure while I got it there on the rack maybe cut the springs 1 coil for a 2"ish drop for the time being to get a little lower for an interim condition fo rht enext year or two.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Stay away from Hotchkis or GW. Call Marcus and he will set you up. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
I have a set of Hotchkiss springs on my 66SS. They ride excellent and I feel they are perfect for anyone looking for a good lowered spring. Not everyone is after cornering like a Ferrari so these work great. They handle just fine.

If I had the opportunity, I would have checked out SC&C also just to see what they have to offer. But I put this set in in 1999 and have worked excellent ever since. I personally feel both companys will offer you a decent spring depending on what your looking for. Hotchkiss= good street performance. SC&C will give you a more spring rated coil spring based on how much your into cornering and handling.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
FWIW, SC&C recommends a Eibach pro-kit spring.

I put QA1 coilovers on mine, the adjustable shock is nice, and I can adjust the height anywhere I want. They are also very easy to install.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts