Team Chevelle banner

Advise on an engine stand

1K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  Chris R 
#1 ·
I have a 72 402 BB that I will be rebuilding, nut don't have an engine stand. Does anyone have any recommendations on type to buy?

#4 ·
I bought the $109 one from harbor freight tools. I think its 2000 lbs rated. They have a fold up one or permanent. I bought the permanent because they didn't have the fold up in the store, but I had my complete engine sitting on it all winter in the garage.

#6 ·
I bought the 4 wheel fold up job from PepBoys. Was around $100. Held my 402 fine, but don't know if it was my imagination or not, but it seemed to be starting to tip a little under the weight. What I mean is the front of the engine was sitting lower then the rear. Since I'm almost done building, I've since moved it to an engine cradle I bought from Jegs for around $30

#7 ·
As said, a cheap four leg stand will be find. Yes, a solid iron BBC will tend to sag a little in the stand. It is just a property of the bolt-together and cheapish nature of the stands.

If you plan on keeping it and using it a few times then I would suggest getting one with a crank to rotate the engine. If not, make sure you put a bunch of grease on the pipe when you put it together to help the engine rotate. Especially on a BBC long block I end up using the engine hoise with a chain on one corner to rotate the engine. :(

#10 ·
I borrowed a stand and cherry picker from a buddy, both pieces from Harbor Freight. Both scarey.

With my big block and heads on, it deflected downward a bunch! The wheelbase on the engine stand was so narrow that I was worried it the the center of gravity of the block+heads would be outside it and the whole thing would flip over. I put a bolt in a head bolt hole and used the crane to roll it upside down (I was doing a pan gasket). There was no way I could up-right it, and used the crane again.

Lowering the engine/bell/trans into the car, a couple of times the crane dropped an inch when i wanted a smooth quarter inch. I was plenty relieved once the motor/trans were back in the car on the mounts.

#12 ·
I always use two blocks of wood. One long, one shorter, depending on engine position and put it between the crank snout and the lower portion of the stand to help support the weight. Helps me sleep at night.

#14 ·
I have had a complete 396 sitting on a 75 dollar 1000lb. 4 leg, engine stand for over a year before with no signs of fatugue. I bought that thing from the long defunct ASAP performance parts warehouse.

A 1000lb. 4 leg should be just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.