Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I built a motor a few years ago, and it was a fellow motor shops build sheet I used and all the machine work was also professionally done by him as well. It has a nice cam for the street in it, idles great and I think the lift was around the low 600’s. Unfortunately I do not have the cam specs. I was wondering what cam I could put into my motor to bring up the horsepower and what else you guys think I could do to help as well. The motor makes about 600hp and 640ft lbs of torque now. Trying to aim for 700hp if possible and still be streetable. The build sheet is as follows:
  • AFR 325cc Magnum Heads (117cc chamber, 325cc intake, 124cc exhaust, 2.3” intake valves, 1.88” exhaust valve, max valve lift 0.85”)
  • Wiseco Pro True Pistons (4.28” bore size, 1.27 comp. ht., 4.25” stroke, 21cc dome volume.)
  • Scat Pro Comp Connecting Rods (Forged 4340 steel, I-Beam, 12-Point, Cap and Screw, 6.385” length.)
  • Eagle Cast-Steel Crankshaft (4.25” stroke, external balance.)
  • Clevite Bearings
  • Melling High-Volume Oil Pump
  • ARP Head Bolts, Carb Studs, Intake Manifold Bolts
  • Comp Cams Custom Ground Camshaft
  • Comp Cams High Energy Hydraulic Roller Lifters
  • Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnum XD Roller Rocker Arms ( 1.8 Ratio, 7/16” stud, Chromoly Steel, 1.55” max spring diameter.)
  • Comp Cams Hi-Tech Roller Race Timing Set
  • Comp Cams Hi-Tech Pushrods (Heat Treated 3/8”, Chromoly, 8.85” & 8.05”)
  • Moroso Street/Strip Oil Pan (7 qt. Plus oil filter 8 qt. Total.)
  • Moroso Street/Strip Oil Pump Pick-Ups
  • Pioneer Flexplate (External Balance, 168 tooth, 2-piece rear main seal)
  • Pioneer Harmonic Balancer
  • MSD Ignition and MSD GAL-2 Box
  • Hooker Headers 2” mains
  • Quick Fuel 850 cfm carburetor (Main Jet 80, Secondary Main Jet 86, Primary Power Valve 65, Primary Pump Nozzle Size 35.)
  • Holley Mechanical Fuel Pump
  • Aluminum High-Volume Water Pump
  • Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake

·
Registered
11,984 Posts
I agree with Scott the crank kinda limits you. It’s better than a factory cast crank but not a race piece. With that said, I would pull the cam out and see what it is before just ordering something else. I learned the hard way as a teenager engine builder. I bought an upgrade cam for my PAW crate engine. Ordered it and had the engine apart to pull the cam. Then I saw the number on the end of the cam matched the new one I bought!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with Scott the crank kinda limits you. It’s better than a factory cast crank but not a race piece. With that said, I would pull the cam out and see what it is before just ordering something else. I learned the hard way as a teenager engine builder. I bought an upgrade cam for my PAW crate engine. Ordered it and had the engine apart to pull the cam. Then I saw the number on the end of the cam matched the new one I bought!!!
Only problem is, it’s a custom grind on my cam.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
850cfm is plenty for that build. You'd be better off with a different cam and playing around with timing. As far as cam suggestions, it is kind of hard to tell you much without full cam specs of the one that is currently in it. What is your current compression ratio?
Ya it seems like 850cfm is perfect right now. My compression ratio is 10.5:1

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Why do you think you need 100 More HP ?

Do you Race the Car at the Track ??

I have less HP than you have and I am very happy how my car Perfs on the Street
with the same DOT Tires that I use at the Track
with cheap Old School Suspension / Moroso Front Trick Springs & Comp Eng 3 Way Front Shocks
plus Moog Rear Stock Springs and Comp Eng 3 Way Rear Shocks
950 CFM Holley Pro Systems Carb / Aeromotive 340 lph Fuel Pump in a Holley efi Sniper Tank

On the Street the Car is just uncontrolable if I try to use it's Full Power
at the Track she is Performing better and better everytime we go up to Race
as we learn to Launch on the Track when it is not Prepped with the Street Tires
and the Great UMI Perf Suspension Parts I have bought and installed ;
Front Tubular Control Arms / Rear Upper Adjustable & Boxed Control Arms
plus Air Bags in the Stock Springs

Reactions: roberto70chevelle

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why do you think you need 100 More HP ?

Do you Race the Car at the Track ??

I have less HP than you have and I am very happy how my car Perfs on the Street
with the same DOT Tires that I use at the Track
with cheap Old School Suspension / Moroso Front Trick Springs & Comp Eng 3 Way Front Shocks
plus Moog Rear Stock Springs and Comp Eng 3 Way Rear Shocks
950 CFM Holley Pro Systems Carb / Aeromotive 340 lph Fuel Pump in a Holley efi Sniper Tank

On the Street the Car is just uncontrolable if I try to use it's Full Power
at the Track she is Performing better and better everytime we go up to Race
as we learn to Launch on the Track when it is not Prepped with the Street Tires
and the Great UMI Perf Suspension Parts I have bought and installed ;
Front Tubular Control Arms / Rear Upper Adjustable & Boxed Control Arms
plus Air Bags in the Stock Springs
Sounds like you got a good set up. Thanks for the reply! I do take the car to the track a couple times a year but it’s mostly for the street. I guess I could say I got used to the power it has now and was getting curious if I could up it a little. By the way how do you like that carb? I might be looking into a new carb soon instead of the Quickfuel.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,461 Posts
I actually only gained about 15 hp & tq going from shops modded Holley 750 HP to my 1000 AED

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Sounds like you got a good set up. Thanks for the reply! I do take the car to the track a couple times a year but it’s mostly for the street. I guess I could say I got used to the power it has now and was getting curious if I could up it a little. By the way how do you like that carb? I might be looking into a new carb soon instead of the Quickfuel.
The problem with having More Power on the Street is you can not use it, because of the lack of Traction

Love it Holley 0-80805RDX: Ultra XP Aluminum Carburetor 950 CFM | JEGS
I had a old 750 Holley DP that was a Pig on Fuel Consumption on the Street
the 950 uses less Gas on the Street as the 750 DP did as long as I do not hit it to hard to often !!!!
performs flawlessly at the Track when I Launch at Idle / 900 rpm
but you will likely need a bigger Fuel Pump than you have now !! ??

·
Registered
109 Posts
I’m with Greg on his comments on how much you can use on the street.

What are you running at the track now?

Do you have a goal or number you’d like to see at the track?

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb’d 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt
3,428 Posts
Stick a nitrous plate on it...easy 100hp whenever you want it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts