Chevelles.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Chevelle it had pretty nice racing buckets, Im thinking of switching back to the original bench seat. I know buckets can be considered desirable so Im kinda torn. Whats involved in switching back? How much can I expect to pay for the bench seat? Any input is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Bench seat prices are kind of all over the board as far as price. Sometimes people will give them away just to get rid of them. When you want one they can be hard to find. Other times I see them sell for $50-$200. Then you usually have to recover them. To put one back in just check your floor to see that all four mounting points are still usable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats helpful, Thanks. The bench seat kits from Year One, Ausley's, etc. seem pricey compared to spending a couple hundred for a used one, so I guess used is the way to go. Is switching back from buckets a travesty? It seems like all the talk on the forums is about getting the bench seats out and the buckets in.

·
Premium Member
5,124 Posts
After three years with the high school bucket seat installation in my 66, I found a bench on ebay. After buying, recovering, it will be around $450 or so, I guess. The 67 bench seat core, with shreded upholstery, was $50. But the car was originally a bench, and I have not owned a bench seat vehicle for like 20 years, so I am looking forward to it.

My shifter (B&M automatic) will have to be moved forward. And somewhere in the past, the front bench mounting points rusted out and were patched with just sheetmetal, and now that repair is rusting and needs new front floors. Rear ones were intact. So check that also.

I think the benches look nice, as well as being a bit uncommon these days. Hope it will get closer to the 1966 stock look for the car.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
The stock factory bucket seats are very comfortable. You should ask someone to let you sit in their stock buckets (if you can find one) before pitching the whole bucket seat idea IMHO. Racing buckets are generaly not very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
5,124 Posts
Just now bought a plastic race seat for my hot rod, and it is a major step backwards from comfortable. But it saves weight!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I definitely open to the idea of the stock buckets versus the bench seats. I guess my issue is that im trying to stay pretty close to stock with the car and "racing buckets" dont really flow with that, plus I think it makes me look like im trying to be a racer. Not to mention the fact that the racing buckets make it a pain in the a$$ to get into the back seat.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I have an old magazine road test of two 1968 Chevelles, an SS396 with buckets and a Malibu Sport Coupe with a bench and a 327. Surprisingly, they really liked the bench seat in the Malibu.

I'm keeping the cloth bench in my 67 Malibu Sport Coupe.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I once tossed my bench seat and put in buckets. I regretted it. I enjoy a bench seat.:cool:

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
My car was originally a bench seat with 4 speed. I switched over to strato buckets maybe 7/8 years ago. I think they are more comfortable than the bench. Also prefer the look of buckets and a console to the bench. With a 4 speed the bench really isn't practical as it would be almost impossible for anyone to sit in the center position of the bench and still be able to shift into 2nd/4th gears.
However that is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. From a cost standpoint switching to a bench would be the lesser of the two.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 67 El Camino had 2nd Gen Camaro buckets in it when I bought it. I wanted to be able to take my 2 youngest sons cruising with me, so decided to go back to a bench.

Picked up a rare 66 power bench seat in need of upholstery for $300. I bought a cheap auto store bench cover for $15 and installed it. Sold the Camaro buckets for $150.

Then 10 months later found a 65 Skylark bench with very nice original upholstery for $150. Took the power seat out and installed the Buick seat.

Good deals can be found, but it can take a while. Now I'm going to resell the 66 power bench. I don't really need the power seat in an El Camino anyway.

·
Banned
9,701 Posts
My last 65 elky had Scat Procar buckets. They were very uncomfortable to say the least. My current 65 elky has a later 60`s bench with the fold down center arm rest. It`s been all redone and looks nice but doesn`t fit the look of the car. I recently found a 65 el camino bench that was already redone in black for $350 so all I have to do is swap. My car is/will be a 4spd and like Jeff, I want to take my son and daughter arouns with me. They are still little so should`nt be a issue with shifting yet. If it wasn`t for the fact that I want to take both my kidswith me I would go to factory buckets and console in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
go with the bench...more comfortable than it appears to be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts