Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is new to me. Just got an advance curve spring kit from Mr. Gasket for a 66 gm distributor. Rather than the trial method, is there a color code for the spring. By feel I think the spring with the most resistance is gold and then black, and then silver. Anyone know the order of resistance? No instructions with the kit. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
Don't know about that kit but the one I bought a few years ago had a chart showing the advance with the different colors. I thought black was the strongest spring, don't remember. I'll see if I can find what's left of the kit.

EDIT: Found the old kit. According to the chart black is the strongest spring, then silver, then gold. There are fewer coils on the black but I believe it's a heavier gauge wire. Same is true if you compare silver to gold. The chart goes to 8,000 rpm and even then it shows that black is not allowing full mechanical advance.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
Thanks guys. Then if I am reading you correctly, gold will allow the mechanical advance to fully come in at the least number of rpms. Then silver and black respectively. Is this the right assumption?
If the Mr. Gasket kit works the same as the one I have, which it probably does, you're correct.

·
Premium Member
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I look at the kit a little more in depth this morning. For some reason the black spring is a little shorter than the other springs. About 1/16".

The original springs are the same length as the gold and the silver spring in the kit. And the original springs appear to be of a higher quality than the springs in the kit, just by how they are designed.

I deceided to use my fish scale to see how the springs measured with a pull of about 1/8". From the kit the silver showed 1lb, the gold showed 2lb, and the black showed 1lb. The original spring showed 3 lb.

I know this seems like it would not be to accurate a way to test. Guess I'll start with the gold and see how much advance is added and when and go from there.

Has anyone had bad experiences with Mr. Gasket Kits and would like to recommend a better quality kit? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
I know this seems like it would not be to accurate a way to test. Guess I'll start with the gold and see how much advance is added and when and go from there.
The results will be interesting.
Maybe the black limits total advance ? But the gold and silver let it come in all the way at different RPM ?
I've only seen the MG kit available these days.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
JAMES,on the back of the MRG adv curve kits i have at home the instructions state what color spring is what tension like ligh/med/etc.

Light spring allow faster adv and med spring will give you a little slower mech adv.

Scott

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Hi Jim,i bet you right on the out sourcing,my mr gasket adv kits are at least 1 yr old or maybe a little older so maybe they have been outsource too,GEESH,when will it end.

If not out sourcing maybe they want to plain save $ not prinitng the instructions that used to be on the back of the pkg.

Scott

·
Premium Member
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried out the gold springs this morning, everything came in at 4000 rpms with vac can plugged. Then the silver springs, everthing came in at 3000 rpms with vac can plugged. Didn't try the black.

Initial was set at 10* and total turned out to be 36* on both sets of springs, so the weights on the distributor must be adding 13* at the distributor or 26* at the balancer.

Car pinged somewhat with the silver springs, so have deceided to use the golds. Like the 10* initial as the car idles better at 650 rpms with vacuum cannister hooked up. With vacuum cannister hooked up it bumps the timing up to about 24*, so it must be adding about 14*

Does everthing sound OK? Thanks,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts