Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while trying to remove my clutch pilot bearing from the crankshaft it wouldn't budge. I figure well now I'm going to have to buy a tool I'm going to use once partially because of my age but more so because I'm not going through this sh_t again. I noticed it said you could loan the tool but never really inquired about it. I asked them how it works and she said as long as we have one in stock you come in buy the tool for the price it's advertised for plus sales tax. I asked how long I could keep it for and she said as long as you want. Makes sense you actually just bought it what do they care if you never bring it back. But if you do bring it back you get all your money back including the sales tax so what your getting is the use of a tool for free. Works for me. :D

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Yes, it's a good program. Been using it for years. I feel better returning the tool as soon as possible because I'm not 100% confident in that "return it at anytime" policy. Pep Boys also has tool rental but there is a more typical non-refundable fee, though, they have some more specialized tools which may help you out of a jam.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Used that tool loaner program also. Once on a harmonic balancer installer and once on a coil spring compression tool. The spring compresser was better than the one I already owned so I told them when I picked it up that I was going to keep it.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
very good deal. I assume their business model assumes a certain percentage of people keep it. Plus add on sales of whatever parts you buy that the tool installs.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do I assume correctly that one may be buying a used tool, ie one that was returned? Is that the name of the company - Advance Auto Tool?
Yes, you could be buying a tool that was used already but if they didn't have a used one and had a new one in stock you would be buying that one. I can see your point about buying used but if you knew you were going to keep it you would buy a new one I know I would. It is Advance Auto Parts.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
It seems to be a smart plan that minimizes the risk to the store. It is really a good way to go for tools that you will not use often.

·
Registered
619 Posts
So some of you guys are worried about buying or borrowing a used tool? You never bought a used tool, lawn mower, etc. at a flea market, swap meet or auction ? You never loaned a tool to a buddy who used it and then gave it back?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So some of you guys are worried about buying or borrowing a used tool? You never bought a used tool, lawn mower, etc. at a flea market, swap meet or auction ? You never loaned a tool to a buddy who used it and then gave it back?
I don't think it's so much buying a used tool as paying the same price as a new one if you didn't bring it back.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I prefer to characterize it as being informed, rather than being "worried". Just bought a used excavator and my main concern was that I don't end up with any surprises. It's one thing to make a purchase where the variables are universally understood, but it's again another thing to not understand what you are doing at any given moment.

BTW, I purchase a lot of stuff at yard/garage sales, some of that stuff is actually "used tools".

Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts