Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
71 Chevelle, TH400.... Last thing to hook up is my Flex a Lite Dual Fan... Been reading that 'Relays' are good to use... When adding a relay, Do I add the relay does it change any other wiring in the fan or does it just basically go in front of the fan's wiring? Not getting it yet...... Was thinking I would do the following:

Leave current wiring of Variable Speed Control as is....but instead of running power line to fuse, I run it to #87 on relay, then
Run wire from Relay 86 to fuse box IGN
Run wire from Relay 30 to battery + with in line fuse
Run wire from Relay 85 to ground.

The Flex a Lite VSC would have the following:
Wire from VSC to battery + and one to battery - means I have two wires going to battery.....

Is that right?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Firstly, sounds like a 30 amp rated relay, pretty marginal for dual fans.
Secondly, fans will be switching on/off regularly, relay contacts become pitted & unreliable.
Thirdly, I would run a solid state relay [ SSR ]. No moving parts, 100 amp is about the size of half a cigarette packet & cost about $40 here; four terminals like a std relay relay, two load terminals & two activate terminals.

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
2,026 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hotwire - Thanks. Makes sense that the VSC is self contained. Does the wire going to the fuse box need an inline fuse?

Thanks Geoff ....Australia - cool!! I'll research the SSR

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
2,026 Posts
Yessir, anything hanging off power should have a fuse to reduce risk of fire. The "turn on" coming from ignition prob only needs a 5 amp fuse. The main coming from the battery I think already has a fuse with the kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts