Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know a company that sells a computer or something that keeps a record of what a car has been doing? I saw a show awhile back that had this box where you could download information about how the car has been driven.

I know for some of you this sounds bad, but this is why I am doing it. If my son's friends want to know what his rat will do! He can say I can't my DAD put this box in here that tells him every thing I've done in the car. It gives him an out, and he can blame it on his mean old Dad. He already knows I'm going to do this. I think most young men in the peer pressure stage of life would like to have an out, even if they won't admit it. By the way I've told him anytime he wants to go fast we will take it to the track. "Anytime" and he can load all of his friends into my oversized van.

thanks,
bk

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
When I look back on my teen age years, I wonder why I am still alive. I can't believe you got your kid a Rat. It's pretty much asking for it isn't it? I don't know your son, but if he is anything like the red blooded american boys I know, box or not, the rat's gonna fly.
My oldest son and I restored a 70 Mach I.
351 Windsor w/4 speed. I thought he was a pretty conservative driver until last week.
Seems 10 yrs ago, him and his younger brother spun the thing out ar nearly 90 mph. I never found out thank goodness.
You might call a rental car company. they are putting them in rentals. Problem is, you don't have a computer in the car, so I don't think the box will work.

Good luck!

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
I would call this being a responsible parent. If he wants to show off his car to his buddies then the track is the right place for it. If all parents did this for their kids there would be a lot less casualties. Good on ya BK

·
Registered
94 Posts
im gonna go out and say get him anotehr car!! dont let him ruin this for himself!! i am 19 and just becasue you have some box in the car doesnt mean anything your still gonna get on it. i have had my chevelle a year now and i already crashedit but its been fiexed..but i didnt have the respect i do for it now then. although it is a whole diffrent car. let him hot rod some crappy truck and when he wants to go to the track let him take the cooler car. i know it doesnt mean much coming from me, but thats what i would do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow,

I wouldn't have thought of an MSD and a 4k chip... Better get some super-glue also.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I know the company you are referring to:

Yes, I can tell you the company that sells the box that records your car activity.

I can also tell your SON the company that sells the box that FOOLS YOUR box.

Lose lose situation.

If you get him a rat, here are the facts:

1. He's gonna burn rubber
2. He's gonna show off to his friends
3. He may get a speeding ticket
4. He may get in an accident (we hope not!)

All of these happened to me in the younger years. I also tried drugs.

Now, I make a decent living. Got an MBA and a Law degree. One baby on the way.

The point is, although the rat may get him in trouble, it will not ruin his life.

It all depends on the home diciplinary actions. I don't mean to preach..what the heck do I know.

But my philosophy is, if your kid (in gerneral) screws up, it's the parents fault!

Good luck.

------------------
My other TOY

Picture: My new motor with a supercharger!

Image: Dyno sheet, 700 hp, 700 ftlb

Picture: My blown 468 Chevelle

Picture: Blown 69 SS Chevelle

Picture: My car on the cover of Super Chevy Magazine

Video: 1 meg video of my Chevelle warming up

·
Registered
543 Posts
those work with the ecm I think, also some use gps sattelites. so I dont think the "black box" will work. now you could look at things like tread on rear tires, or little black pieces of rubber in the rear wheel wells. just tell him to keep the front wheels straight when he gets on it, they will come around on you. and be glad he is not into ricers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Peer pressure
I'm 20 and have told my "friends" that I aint doing anything stupid regardless what they called me. Some one here put a mercury switch on the wire powering the coil posistioned so that everytime it accelerated hard it would cut out....he said his son was an expert on working on cars after constantly trying to fix it untill he finally found the hidden switch

He is going to do what he is going to do. Hopefully he is a good kid and hopefully he will live through his youth. Good luck

Philip

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm 22 and I own a 69 SS. My dad and I restored it when I was in high school before I got my license. Maybe I'm just different, but after all of the work I put into my "baby", I just don't have the nerve to race it. Sure I'll burn the tires just as much as the next guy, but I've NEVER raced my Chevelle.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If I were you the best situation to cure that speeding would be a 4000 rpm chip in the MSD6AL box. I know all you have to do is pull the chip and you have no rev limiter. Then if I found out otherwise I would take the car from him until he learns to be more aware of the laws of the road.

------------------
69 Malibu 454 10.00 to 1
2400 stall with 3.73
284XE Cam 049 oval heads
2.19 & 1.88 valves 850 dp
1.71 60' 12.42 ET at 108-110
ACES Member #3635

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
well, there's a couple of good ways to "watch" without "watching", 1) disconnect the 2 rear barrels (he ain't gunna have a spare linkage around) 2)explain if he EVER get's a ticket, or you find out he's been burning tire that the car is GONE!!! (rubber stuck under the wheel-well is ez enough to find and a kid wouldn't think to get it out) just let him know you will "KNOW" if he's done it.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
117 Posts
simple, put a shift light in the car somewhere really viseable, and rig it for like 3500 rpms or so and have your son tell his friends that his dad wired the shift light up to a playback tach and that you can check out what the car has been going through. Or have the light comeon when it hits 3500 rpms as a warning light...that should fool them, or jus get a play back tach and that can be a real purposeful excuse.

[This message has been edited by Buddy (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Registered
50 Posts
good on ya for letting your son drive a rat. That car will peg the way cool meter with his buddies! I think ( not sure0 that Jacobs electronics makes a device that will limit rpm, or MPH. Not sure. I think it is RPM. which is not all bad. He can spin the tires, and show off a little ( you know he is going to) , but if you figure out the right RPM. the car won't go that fast. HTH
Chip Parman

------------------
1967 ss396 clone. powdercoated frame,suspension,r12 bolt posi,7004r, and just about everything else! 502,700r4,12 boltposi, ps,pb,fact. a/c,pw, tilt, buckets, momma likes this car. hates my grand national. Hope to be done with her in about a year

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Use the 4k chip if the car has low enough gears. My car with 700R4 and 3.73 gears can go very fast at 4000 rpm.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 10-27-01)

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Can you say "250 inline 6"?
while its true a rat can't ruin your life, moving violations and the insurance bills sure can put a damper on it. BTDT. Thank god I never got caught racing or it would of been a lot worse. Oh yeah and make sure he is on his own insurance, not joint with you, in case something does happen. You dont want someone suing and coming after your house and posessions.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

[This message has been edited by drptop70ss (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
On the case with insurance make sure that you get the most coverage you can. I have an uncle who is paying out the nose because his step son wrecked an S-10 and had the minimum liability which is only $25,000.00. The other kid lost a leg in the accident and his father is suing for everything he can.

------------------
69 Malibu 454 10.00 to 1
2400 stall with 3.73
284XE Cam 049 oval heads
2.19 & 1.88 valves 850 dp
1.71 60' 12.42 ET at 108-110
ACES Member #3635

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Although it would sound amazing to anyone today, many years ago I was car shopping with a buddy and found a used car lot with a '69 Hemi Charger, yup, back when it was "just another used car". I was 17, living at home, working part time, and could afford the asking price. My parents were wary of my motives for wanting this car, and sought out advice from a family friend. The question they posed was: "could he be responsible with that kind of car". Unfortunately for me (or maybe fortunately given my lust for speed), the family friend was the local traffic commisioner. He was quick and to the point: "17 years old...if there's power under the hood he'll use all of it!".

You have guts for putting your kid in a rat. Hopefully he only gets into enough trouble with it to make for nostalgic memories with no anguish.

Thomas

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
8/1/01 added Plum Mist '67 to collection
*New* 468 on its way - going Big Block!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm 18... my parents trust me enough to let me drive my car without watching it. Granted I bought it myself and have worked my ass off for it... but I don't go out with it WOT all the time. Ya, from time to time I'll go WOT on the street, but doesn't everyone? I don't do it when theres anyone around and I'm careful while doing it... no excessive speeds or anything crazy that could get someone hurt.

Maybe it's just me... I think you should make him work for the rat. It seems like kids who's parents buy them their car never respect it and end up wrecking it within a year... that'd be a shame to see that happen to a Chevelle.

------------------
kenny

85 El Camino 355ci
350 turbo - 4.11's
best run so far 12.92
My Page

·
Registered
214 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ?:

Maybe it's just me... I think you should make him work for the rat. It seems like kids who's parents buy them their car never respect it and end up wrecking it within a year... that'd be a shame to see that happen to a Chevelle.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good point

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.