Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No body makes an accessory bracket kit for the 8.1 vortec. I have the factory one and it is a serpentine set up , but it is cast iron and weighs a ton. If I use it it makes life easier because I can just go get 05 8.1 alt and ps pump. I am thinking of making my own bracket out of aluminum plate but that will be a pita. Also the factory water pump is heavy cast and I am thinking of switching to aluminum.

Is the weight saving worth it or is it more valuable to just be able to go to any parts store and get parts for the 05 other than going with custom stuff?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hey Marc, for ease I would use the stock one. Unless you are bracket racing and need to loose weight in the car, then an aftermarket one would make sense. As for making one, I myself would temp it. everything has to be perfect. You probably could find aftermarket, but what I have learned is that stuff is expensive. In my swap I needed these aftermarket brackets, so dropping $300.00+ for a bracket was tough to swallow.

Reactions: 1970ss8.1L

·
Premium Member
14,054 Posts
If you only want one belt, factory is probably the way to go, if not, look at Philip's Wagon build thread or click on it when he posts advice, you'll have to scroll some and I think he's using a Sanden compressor as well. good luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate all the advice. I already have the factory brackets just looking for something cooler and lighter than cast iron. All the bolt holes on the 8.1 are different than any other big block. Only motor mounts, headers, and bell housing are the same. There is also a large water crossover from head to head. No other big block pulley system will fit. I have called all the major companies that produce accessory brackets and none of them are even willing to build me one. I have only seen one setup other than stock online but I can not figure out what they used or who built it. As you can see this was my inspiration and what I am trying to mimic.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts