Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my 1969 chevelle is WAAAAAAAAAY fast. However, lately the acceleration is acting funny. While in third gear, (3 speed manual) it accelerates pretty quick when i really step on it, however after a few short seconds it actually starts SLOWING DOWN!!! It feels almost as though i am down-shifting, its the same type of feeling. It is really weird.. And then all of the sudden it will start accelerating again. I dont get it!! HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
You could be running out of fuel. If you have a pressure gauge mount it somewhere outside of the car where you can see it and run it again and see if you are losing fuel pressure.

[This message has been edited by Aug98 (edited 05-10-99).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Fuel pressure or one of the internals in the carbs isn't working correctly. Be more specific about your rpm range and maybe one of the pros on the site can point their finger at the source of your woes.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 05-10-99).]

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 05-10-99).]

·
Registered
35 Posts
When you say it feels almost as though you were down shifting are the RPM's still rising as the car slows. If they are then your clutch is slipping

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like fuel pressure to me. May cost a bit, but its better then leaning out your engine and blowing it up!!. CHRIS

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is your fuel filter clogged? Sometimes even the simpliest of things can be overlooked.

------------------

·
Registered
16 Posts
You just felt like you were going slower because I was accelerating past you so fast that day.

J/K

NOT ENOUGH gAS, GasMAn.... or a clogged fuel filter, or a slutty clutch.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Slipping clutch? Possible, recheck adjustment. Low on fuel,also possible, have you adjusted the floats in your carb? Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all your responses... Unfortunately i havent had a chance to drive the car since i posted the original message, as its getting some body work done... Hopefully i will have the car back tomorrow and I will be able to check everything you mentioned.. Thanks!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.