Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a family friend that is having trouble starting his 65 fastback Ford Mustang(cool car though) It wont start, I went over and found he had no power, key on, to his positive side of the coil. We traced it back to a mickey rigged connection in the wiring harness so we fixed that and got power to the coil when the key turned to the on position.

Still no go, the coil does not seem to be working or the distributor (electronic breakerless model) because it will not get spark at the plug. The one thing that I did test, he has 9 volts to the coil with the key on. Also, he said he jumped power to the coil yesterday by wiring it directly to the batt, will this mess up the module or the coil? And, is there any way of testing the coil or the module inside the distributor with a volt/ohm meter?

Hope someone has some help, I will be going back over tomorrow later in the morning.

thanks for all of the help

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Craig,
I have a Accel distributor in my 68 Camaro that I was having starting problems with. It turned out to be the gap between the reluctor and the pickup. It was too big and I wasn't getting spark. It should be around .005

Mike

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Mike, don't think it is that, it did run before and nobody touched the module and gap. I will double check it though, again thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts