Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are restoring his first car a 69 chevelle, we are almost ready for paint.
My question is when I turn the ignition key over to ACC. I am not getting any power to the fuse box inorder to hook up the radio.
Everthing works with the key turned to the ON postion.
I have unable to find any broken/ missing wires.
It doest appear that the wires or colum has been hacked up in any way.
Any ideas.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If nothing is hacked up I would suspect either the switch itself is not aligned properly or the ignition switch contacts are worn. You can try adjusting it. Perhaps that will make it work. Normally I just change them out if it's the original. Places like Kragen or one of the other chain stores sell them. Not that expensive. If you need some instructions on how to change it, post back.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John
I did not know that the contacts could be adjustment.
I am asuming that I will need to pull the ignition switch out, but I am unsure on how to make the adjustment.
I have never ran into this type of problem before.
I am sure that I can figure it out, but I also know that I dont what to create more problems for myself.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I think you are thinking of the key switch. The real ignition switch is located on the lower top of the column. The key switch operates it by a rod. Couple of things to help you. The Haynes Chevelle book #625 has some instructions on page 394. This book is around $16.00 at Pep Boys or the other chain auto stores. It has a lot of "how to" instructions. Though not a factory manual, mine has long paid for itself. Best to drop the column to change or adjust the switch. Not that bad. Check out this thread. http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum22/HTML/001101.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts