Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I think its safe to say to stay away from ACC Performance and their boss hog converters. I experienced some severe converter slippage tonight at the track. My Chevelle with a TH400...3.73 gear and 26" tall tire went 90MPH in 3rd gear at 5400 rpms in the 1/8th. That calculates out to about 24% slippage. I watched my tach as it didnt even move 100 rpms when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

·
Registered
30 Posts
******** are good conv for N/A engines, Ive heard nothing but good from them (25 racers or so) . Unless you try it don't knock it. there american made. Getting sick and tired or "suits" who run the best of the best and lookin down on the "budget" racers........

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Well, I think its safe to say to stay away from ACC Performance and their boss hog converters. I experienced some severe converter slippage tonight at the track. My Chevelle with a TH400...3.73 gear and 26" tall tire went 90MPH in 3rd gear at 5400 rpms in the 1/8th. That calculates out to about 24% slippage. I watched my tach as it didnt even move 100 rpms when shifting from 1st to 2nd.
How can you say its the converter?

Maybe there is just not enough HP to pull the MPH

And they thought I was bashing Lunati :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
What size is the converter? What is the stall? What size engine? Where is peak engine power?

I don't know if its fair to judge the converter without more info. I have experienced very good converters that have a high stall do the same thing in a heavy car, undergeared, running through the 1/8. If you ran though the 1/4 you most likely would have less slippage.

You could put a tighter converter in it and most likely the et would suffer.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
******** are good conv for N/A engines, Ive heard nothing but good from them (25 racers or so) . Unless you try it don't knock it. there american made. Getting sick and tired or "suits" who run the best of the best and lookin down on the "budget" racers........

Well, opinons vary. I'm local to *******, AKA Art Carr, and I don't know one racer who is running one (N/A). I know several who have tried them, most gave up after R&Ring them multiple times to let them "fix" it. They just don't have the experience the bigger name companies have. They do have a few nitrous and one or two local turbo guys using them though. JMHO.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
About 1991 or 2 when supershops went or was going ,,we had Auto Sports Center .. they sold the boss hog converters...I just broke my $99TCI that was 400-600 over stock not recomended for big blocks.

The combo was a 350 with 245lbs cranking pressure i shifted at 6900 270h comp and a 9" with 370 gears and a clutch posi...around 3600lbs then.
Broke the stator in the TCI took about 3 months street driving...bought a 3000 stall boss hog and it felt good not too slippy.. but lasted 2 weeks

When they broke i had nothing no foreward or reverse...Then tear down the trans again and put in a B&M $99...worked great for over 60,000 miles

Just built the engine again after sitting a few years..3,030lb ride used another b&m and it lasted 8 miles....dang it!...had a local build me a converter and now i have over 600 miles on it and working fine so far,.

Luck of the draw i guess when it comes to the cheapies
Never broke any stock rebuilt daacos

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hell Im running a ******* 3500 and it works great! Not to mention the fast build and shipping! Great guys in my book!

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Uhmmm, let's not paint everyone with such a broad stroke of a brush, eh? I for instance wouldn't say that I have the "best of the best" parts in my car so far, but I DO have some pretty expensive parts in it, which includes a $1,300 torque converter. I don't neccessarily knock any serious racers who are frugal and who accomplish a lot with very little, but at the same time, I will speak for myself when I say that just because I have spent some big $$ on some of the parts that I've installed in my car, and because I don't believe in cutting corners when it comes to certain parts like torque converters, that doesn't mean that I am some big CEO or executive ("suit") like those who you have mentioned. I'm a blue collar worker, and I've always been one, and I do 80% of all the mechanical work on my cars myself. ;)

How can you say its the converter?
I thought the same thing as what Butch has brought up here^...For instance, can you be certain that it isn't the transmission that's slipping? Are you certain that it is the converter? I don't believe in cutting corners when it comes to torque converters (assuming that this one that you've purchased is of the economy/budget variety) but I hope that you haven't simply jumped to any pre-mature conclusion about this one that you speak of either.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
And that's why we don't allow vendor bashing. Too many times it has come down to something else being wrong or some one-sided story.

So how do you know it wasn't the tranny slipping?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For starters I have been doing some research and I'm not the 1st one to have problems with their converters. I do believe my tranny is perfectly sound seeing as I didnt have a problem until I put this converter in. The Converter I'm using is a 2800-3200 rpm converter. I dont know as I would say that that is a "high stall" converter. I found a calculator online that computes converter slippage. It says I'm experiencing 24% slippage. When I was on the chassis dyno, one of the rpm graphs hinted that their was serious slippage all the way 5000 rpms. My buddys car puts down the same rear wheel hp with a TCI 2800-3200 converter and he runs 95mph. His car shows the typical 10% converter slippage using the calculator.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Uhmmm, let's not paint everyone with such a broad stroke of a brush, eh? I for instance wouldn't say that I have the "best of the best" parts in my car so far, but I DO have some pretty expensive parts in it, which includes a $1,300 torque converter. I don't neccessarily knock any serious racers who are frugal and who accomplish a lot with very little, but at the same time, I will speak for myself when I say that just because I have spent some big $$ on some of the parts that I've installed in my car, and because I don't believe in cutting corners when it comes to certain parts like torque converters, that doesn't mean that I am some big CEO or executive ("suit") like those who you have mentioned. I'm a blue collar worker, and I've always been one, and I do 80% of all the mechanical work on my cars myself. ;)

I thought the same thing as what Butch has brought up here^...For instance, can you be certain that it isn't the transmission that's slipping? Are you certain that it is the converter? I don't believe in cutting corners when it comes to torque converters (assuming that this one that you've purchased is of the economy/budget variety) but I hope that you haven't simply jumped to any pre-mature conclusion about this one that you speak of either.
I respect what you say, just when 1 person has a bad exp with parts, people think its a bad name. Im a 11-7 factory worker, and I have a shoppaholic wife:D I had to get part time job to get mine built and drive it on the road. But most of my parts are from my dads past and or/used. I can still manage a decent number out of it. Its all about risk and peoples word FOR me

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I don't have anything to say good or bad about Boss Hog, or *******. But when it comes to converters you are paying for a reputation. You pay and extra few hundred dollars for an ATI, but you get a very good converter for the money.

If you consider the time to R&R a converter on jacks stands in your garage or driveway I'll pay a little more to get one from a company that has a name on a national stage. Companies like ATI, Hughes, Coan, Neil Chance, BTE, have a name because they have been doing it right for years. Sure they miss from time to time, but for the most part your getting a converter that's going to work in your car.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to update everyone that posted to this thread that is was 100% my converter that was causing the problems. The car went from running a [email protected] to a [email protected] Slippage has improved drastically. I wouldnt have posted a thread like this if I didnt know for sure that it was the problem.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Just wanted to update everyone that posted to this thread that is was 100% my converter that was causing the problems. The car went from running a [email protected] to a [email protected] Slippage has improved drastically. I wouldnt have posted a thread like this if I didnt know for sure that it was the problem.

Good info....

MANY years ago, I had a "Bogg Hogg" ACC 10", 2800-3200 converter behind a 406" pontiac...The car would leave real well for what it was, 1.58-1.62 60's but wouldn't MPH for sh*t.....I knew the converter was loose on the street....I kind of always figured it was hurting my MPH some but damn......Maybe that was my problem the whole time....:confused: I ran 11.90-12.0s but only at 107-108 mph... Eventually I tried a TCI 10" Super street fighter and the car would only 60' low 1.70s...I pulled that junk out after the first track trip and the boss hog went back in until I sold the car.....Never had the money to get a real converter back then. 1999....

·
Registered
613 Posts
What did you replace it with?

What's your combo, weight of car, etc.?? LJ

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What did you replace it with?

What's your combo, weight of car, etc.?? LJ
I called ATI they hooked me up with a streetmaster converter, flashes at about 3500. Its a 66 chevelle with a 509 BBC, TH400 and 3.73 gear, car weighs 3780 with me in it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another thing I forgot to mention was I had been chasing a reving problem all summer, car would hit a brick wall at 5300. It was all because of that TC!

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
how does a slipping converter limit RPM? seems backward to me but what do I know anyway?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts