Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi John!! Happy Holidays
I have a question for you. Does the 71 chevelles ACC power works when turning the key backward in the column shift?? If so where can I locate a wire so I can connect the radio to it??

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Feliz Navidad
If the ignition switch is OK and the radio fuse is OK, the ACC terminal on the fuseblock will have 12 volts.
Another place is the yellow radio wire. The 71 has a connector with a yellow, black, and gray. Under the dash in the center. The yellow is the radio wire.
If you have a new radio with a memory or clock wire that goes to the BAT terminal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha...Now you see how far your experience and couching is getting help to it!!!! A couple of thousand miles away from were you are. Going back to the ACC. When I turn the switch to the front until the dash light are on I do get power on the yellow wire. But what I'm trying to do is geting power when I turn the switch backward. When I do that there is no power. Gracias Amigo!!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The ignition switch is probably bad. Not the key switch but the electrical switch on the column. You need 12 volts on the brown and orange wires on the switch in the ACC position. I do not think there is power on those wires. To take out the ignition switch;
1, Remove the battery cable.
2, Set the emergency brake.
3, Remove the access panel under the steering column.
4, Put the key in and put the trans shifter into the lowest gear.
5, Loosen and remove the screw and clip under the steering column for the shift indicator.
6, Put the indicator lever back into PARK.
Remove the 2 9/16 nuts holding to the column to the dash and carefully lower it.
7, Install new switch. Adjust it so it moves freely in ON, Park (Off) and ACC.
8, Reinstall column and reverse steps 1-5.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok
I think I can do it. All I need to know is where the switch is located?? Also, can I find this switch in Pep Boys or similar or do I need to go thru a reto experts like OPGI or NPDepot??
Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
It's on the top of the steering column, under the dash, near the bottom. That's the reason to lower the column. The key switch moves it with a metal rod. Yes, Pep Boys should be able to get it. It is a common electrical part for a lot of GM cars.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Another problem that may cause it is that the switch bolt holes (the ones that hold it to the column) are slotted. It's not much, but it allows a small amount of movement of the switch up and down along the steering column. If it's out of adjustment, the key plunger rod may not move the switch internals enough for that function.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you both. Will go for it!!! Will post results when done. Keep up the good work, also Merry Chritmas and a Happy New Year!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Guys
Here I'm posting my results. I found the problem. The ign. switch was out of position. It was a matter of adjusting the switch. I loose both screw and did some adjustments. Bingo!! Now I have power when turning the switch back to acc.
Thanks!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts