Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get my AC working on my 72 Chevelle. It has not worked since I have beem doing a frame off resto of the car, over 16 years.

I pulled a vacuum ,(actually it was my friend, who works on commercial AC systems) and it held vacuum ok. So we added a few ounces (4 or 5) of the correct oil, since I had a new condensor, dryer, clean lines and clean evaporator and lost some oil from the compressor. We them added 60 ounces of R12.

The problem is air is not blowing cold air, it's warm. :(. When we first turn on the AC the low side actually goes into a vacuum and the high side is only 75-80 PSI. The expansion valve frosts up right away. I had the expansion and POA valve sent out to be checked a few years ago. My friend who knows a lot about commercial AC, thinks the expansion valve is stuck closed. He suggests we reclaim the R12 and replace the expansion valve and try again.

Does this sound correct or could it be something else? :confused:

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
^ x2

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

Is there a way to test the expansion valve off the car? It was supposed to be checked before I put it on. Maybe it is just clogged.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts