Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone could help me out with my headlights.When I have my low beams on the high beams light up very dim.I've gone over all the connections,cleaned everything and checked the grounds I'm stumped.Would appreciate any suggestions.Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you pull both low beam connectors off, leave the high beam conectors on, turn the headlights on: Are the high beams still dimly lit?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Plug one low beam socket on at a time. Try the lights again. Guessing that it is one of the low beam sockets acting up. Probably a bad crimp joint on the ground wire. Post back after you tried that. Getting late for me to type much else today.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried your suggestion and when I plugged the drivers side in the high beams did not light,but when I plugged the passenger side in they light up so now I know it's on that side.Once I have more time I will look at the wires in this area closer.I will post with my findings.Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sound a lot like a bad socket. You can prove this by sticking a wire onto the socket black ground crimp joint while the socket is attached to the headlight. The only other possibility is that the right lower beam headlight has a bad ground to the core support.
Whatever you find you can get a 3 wire sockets off any 80's GM car. Cut it off with about 6 inches of wires and solder and sleeve it back to the original wiring. If you find one at the junkyard, I'd grap both the right and left. When one acts up the other will follow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot for your help.I'm gonna swap all the sockets and then go from there.Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'd leave the high beam sockets alone for the moment. Unless you find some new ones you won't find 2-prong sockets in the junkyard worth anything. Maybe out of a Caddy, but they are still pretty old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John I wan't to say thanks for your help.I decided to just take the headlight plugs apart and make any repairs needed.I discovered the ground wire from the high beam connector to the low beam connector was broke at the the terminal in the high beam socket.Again thanks for steering me in the right direction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts