Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there some one out there that rebuilds A6 compressors or sells rebuilt on with a core exchange? I am adding A/C to my 71 but the compressor needs to be rebuilt and I dont want to spend the $$ for a new one from the local auto parts store.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Buy a new one. I quit using rebuilts long time ago. Cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I tried to find someone who would rebuild my A6. None of the shops do it anymore, at least not in my area. They buy from a rebuild house. The one my A/C shop got was no good so then they got a rebuild from AC Delco. It worked fine but I wish I had gotten a Sanden compressor. They are simpler, lighter, and more efficient. Unless you want originality, get a Sanden.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just checked with a couple of radiator shops in my area in Michigan and got the same answer. No local shops rebuild them anymore. Lots of A6 compresors on ebay.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Having an A6 rebuilt will cost nearly as much as a good quality reman or new unit. Parts store remans are a quality control crapshoot.
Trying to save money on an A6 will come back to bite you. You are going to spend about $300-350 for something that will last.
The core stock for these compressors is getting pretty tired so the quality of cheaper rebuilt units is dropping. Quality rebuilts are getting hard to find.
New A6 compressors are available but they still have oil slinging issues inherent with the shaft seal design.

As much as I like the A6, I'm finding the Pro6Ten (Sanden based bolt in replacement) to be a better choice.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts