Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm posting this to all the Racer's out there. I've searched and read so much, I'm over informed, and still questioning what to buy.

I make occasional trip's to the track, with My 468/TH400. 12 bolt 3:31 powered Chevelle. I've got it set up with UMI lower arm's, EDDY adjustable upper, wolfe bearing's up top, Eibach spring's, and Bilstien shock's. all in all, it seem's to put the power to the ground pretty decently, but, I've never had any tire's that could hook it up. So, now I'm looking for some, I've got a set of Weld draglite's (15x8 5.5 BS), to mount then on.

I had 25" drag radial's last year at PIR, when I went 13.0 @ 107.5 MPH, with lot's of slippage and 3:08's. Sold those, as I wanted a dedicated race tire.

This Year, with the deflated P245/60R15's (26.5 Tall) street tire's, and 3:31's, I got 13.0 @ 110,and REALLY crappy 60 foot time's, with lot's of slippage.:yes: I'm sad too say, I was having so much fun, I didn't notice what the RPM's where at the line. :D

So, what Your thought's? Bias-Ply, or radial? Should I get some 26" slick's? I've read that that small of a diameter tire won't hook well. Or go with 28" to help hook up, and hope it's not to tall of a tire. I would'nt think it should be, My BB should get Me rolling.:thumbsup:

I'm leaning toward's a 28x10-15 bias-ply Hoosier.

Thank's for looking, Dave.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
Just get a set of hoosier quick time dots or M/T E.T. streets and you can drive it to and from the track on the same set of tires and they will hook. they are basically slicks with a few tread lines cut in them. If you really want slicks either the hoosiers or the M/T will hook up good. just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
The radial slick is quicker if you can hook it consistently, but they are really too tall for your gear ratio. I would go with the size mentioned in a stiff sidewall tire. Hoosier Part# 18155

·
Registered
283 Posts
26's will hook, they do on my 496 powered GMC s/box. whether that's what you need is another matter entirely. what brand of drag radials were you running previously, especially in a 25"? I've run 275/50/15 ET radials ( 26x10.5 ) and currently have a set of 28x10.5 ET drags as I wore the radials out after 2 seasons. both were good for solid 1.7x 60 fts and mid 12's.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
26's will hook, they do on my 496 powered GMC s/box. whether that's what you need is another matter entirely. what brand of drag radials were you running previously, especially in a 25"? I've run 275/50/15 ET radials ( 26x10.5 ) and currently have a set of 28x10.5 ET drags as I wore the radials out after 2 seasons. both were good for solid 1.7x 60 fts and mid 12's.

They were a Hoosier D.O.T. tire, kinda Hand Me downs.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've had good luck with 28X9 ET Drags, on an 8.5 rim they lay a perfect foot print and hook like a good slick should. Mine have left a string of high 1.40's with a stick. Thru the years I've found 28x9's are a good compromise between not using up power on the big end like a bigger slick and sticking harder due to the better print.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Hard to beat M/T, i agree with Grant 28x9 in a slick. Tire pressure is key, try 18 p.s.i. anything less in a heavy car is not suggested by the manufacture.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
28x9 slick if you are putting on an 8" rim. Do not put a 10" tire on an 8" rim. I know better and just did, and got reminded why it is a bad idea:noway:. Especially if it is a regular sidewall and not a stiff sidewall.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If i were you i would go with the m/t drag radials. They hook great on my car. I bought them last year and i love them. Several trips to the strip and they haven't shown any wear either. Last Friday night on street night i cut three consecutive 1.59 short times with a full body 66 chevelle and the only thing that's been done to the suspention is the south side machine lift bars. I leave them on year round.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.