Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got any tips, tricks, or brilliant ideas for getting these things off? They are kicking my arse. :eek: :mad: I don't want to bend them up any more than necessary - preferably not at all ...

A friend suggested using heat to soften up the dumdum, but my head's too soft already, and I can't find a decent hairdryer around here.

I did a search, but didn't find any actual removal methods. :confused:

Ideas welcomed; Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Have you tried "rolling" them off? If I remember correctly, tapping them down the pillar helps as well. And rolling them from inside the windshield frame.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried rolling, prying, cussing, etc. :angry: There is no way in hell I can tap these things down the pillar. They are STUCK.

Others have done it, and I'm sure I will persevere, but ...

days like this, I think I would be better off selling this POS monkey on my back and feel sweet, sweet relief. :(

I guess the boys on the assembly line weren't expecting some idiot to be taking these things apart 50 years later and "restoring" them. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, Rick. :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
There could be anything and everything under there. There was a big putty junction at the top of mine. It took a lot of fiddling and prying with putty knives. Everytime I got daylight, I stuck a paint stick in the gap.

Hang in there, work on something else and come back to the pita parts.

Your idea of heat might help, I didn't try it but I can see how it would help, especially at the top.

·
Registered
237 Posts
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232943

Here is a small thread for this. I have a 65 and I don't know how much different they are, but I looked at mine and tried to remove them and pulled and was quite frustrated until I realized there were screws under the chrome weatherstrip channel around the door openings. Don't know if that is the same on the 66, but hope some of this helps......I agree just work on something else and keep the faith and you can always revisit areas.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There could be anything and everything under there. There was a big putty junction at the top of mine. It took a lot of fiddling and prying with putty knives. Everytime I got daylight, I stuck a paint stick in the gap.

Hang in there, work on something else and come back to the pita parts.

Your idea of heat might help, I didn't try it but I can see how it would help, especially at the top.
There's a big wad of dumdum squeezed out on one side, so I'm assuming they really laid it on there. I'm looking for a thin piece of steel I can bend an ell in; get it under there and tap it up the pillar with a hammer. We'll see how that works.

I decided to take a break from this and pull the dash out. At least I know how that goes. :)

Here is a small thread for this. I have a 65 and I don't know how much different they are, but I looked at mine and tried to remove them and pulled and was quite frustrated until I realized there were screws under the chrome weatherstrip channel around the door openings. Don't know if that is the same on the 66, but hope some of this helps......I agree just work on something else and keep the faith and you can always revisit areas.
Jeff
I definitely have all the screws out, and I removed the weatherstrip channels.

Thanks, guys. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
I tried taking mine off of my 67 when I was in the restoration process. I gave up. Only place mine were bad was the corner edge where the glass sits. (Actually under the cover) I just repaired it with new metal and never did get those suckers off. It certainly would have been easier to repair while removed, but my fear was I was going to damage them more if I continued trying to remove them

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steel pallet strapping makes good material for that. It can be bent to shape and the edges can be sharpened.
That may not be stiff enough, I'm not sure. :confused:

I tried taking mine off of my 67 when I was in the restoration process. I gave up. Only place mine were bad was the corner edge where the glass sits. (Actually under the cover) I just repaired it with new metal and never did get those suckers off. It certainly would have been easier to repair while removed, but my fear was I was going to damage them more if I continued trying to remove them
I'm only trying to remove them because I have to replace the windshield channel and they're in the way.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349632&highlight=channel

I may have to bend them away as much as possible and work around them. I don't want to ruin them, for sure. :sad: We'll see.

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I think mine got distorted a bit, but the sealer goo wasn't the problem. It wasn't petrified.

Do they move, which would indicate all the screws are out (sorry)?

I'd want to get some paint on the A-pillar...

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All the screws are definitely out. :yes: I can pull the bottoms up a certain amount, then the adhesive/dumdum kicks in.

I think they overdid it with the adhesive/dumdum/goo, and the things don't want to budge.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Dave, try to get the different widths of steel strapping. Lumber packs will be wider than the standard half inch pallet strapping. Try a lumber yard, they've probably got a couple of barrels of it in the way.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think mine got distorted a bit, but the sealer goo wasn't the problem. It wasn't petrified.

Do they move, which would indicate all the screws are out (sorry)?

I'd want to get some paint on the A-pillar...

All the screws are definitely out. :noway::noway: I can pull the bottoms up a certain amount, then the adhesive/dumdum kicks in.

I think they overdid it with the adhesive/dumdum/goo, and the things don't want to budge.
:eek: :eek: :sad:

You were right, Kev - and I'm an idiot. :mad: There were 3 screws hidden under the weatherstrip channel adhesive on the door side. I ASSumed that the weatherstrip channel screws were the only ones holding the cover on. :noway:

I was looking at it and a bit of the flange was bent like it was being held there by something, so I started digging around there and discovered a little screw - three in total. :clonk:

Anyway, the covers are off now, and I know just a bit more about the old heap than I did yesterday. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the help, guys. :)

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
At the risk of sounding a bit ignorant I am not sure what you are talking about. My 66 was totally disassembled so I dont have a reference point of what you mean by the cap and the A pillar. Are you talking about the windlace on the pillar between the windshield and the vent window? And is the cap that plastic windlace molding cap? I am a little ways away from that part of the restoration but you have peaked my interest on this. A picture would be a big help. Thanks

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
At the risk of sounding a bit ignorant I am not sure what you are talking about. My 66 was totally disassembled so I dont have a reference point of what you mean by the cap and the A pillar. Are you talking about the windlace on the pillar between the windshield and the vent window? And is the cap that plastic windlace molding cap? I am a little ways away from that part of the restoration but you have peaked my interest on this. A picture would be a big help. Thanks
The A pillars are the two "posts" in the front of the car that rise to meet the roof. They are the supports for the windshield.

A pic is worth a thousand words. Here is my 67 300 with the pillar cover removed...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Facing the driver's side on a 2-dr, the windshield frame is your A pillar, and C is the sail panel where the quarter panel runs up to the roof.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I thought that was the A pillar. But I am not aware of a cover. I think I checked into that previously and found out 66's just had the windlace attached on the side of the pillar going up to the top. Is that incorrect?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts